Air intake question

CMF_33driver

» CMF Member
Hey guys,

I'm just test fitting up for a pod install on the weekend on my micra lx (96'), I pulled the air box off and noticed that underneath there is a small tube running off the filtered section of the airbox to down on the block off the engine.

Anyone know what this is for? Its not the oil breather on the right but looks like about a 4mm tube running to the bottom?

Is it safe to block this off or where should I route this too?

Thanks
Matt

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
33driver WROTE:

"Hey guys,<BR><BR>I'm just test fitting up for a pod install on the weekend on my micra lx (96'), I pulled the air box off and noticed that underneath there is a small tube running off the filtered section of the airbox to down on the block off the engine.<BR><BR>Anyone know what this is for? Its not the oil breather on the right but looks like about a 4mm tube running to the bottom?<BR><BR>Is it safe to block this off or where should I route this too?<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>Matt

I think its just for canister perge(charcoal canister) mines blocked seems to be ok.

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
mine is blocked and then fitted a custom setup.

Attachments

• 46423.jpg
    46423.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 40

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
From memory as it was explained to me it's a resonator that's a tuned length so that there aren't any flat-spots throughout the rev range under acceleration. I won't pretend to understand the specifics of how it works but just think of it like this - Nissan put it in there for a reason, so unless you know what you're doing or are replacing it entirely, I'd leave it as-is ;)

---dens

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
deNs WROTE:

"From memory as it was explained to me it's a resonator that's a tuned length so that there aren't any flat-spots throughout the rev range under acceleration. I won't pretend to understand the specifics of how it works but just think of it like this - Nissan put it in there for a reason, so unless you know what you're doing or are replacing it entirely, I'd leave it as-is ;)<BR><BR>---dens

Dens, which pipe are you talking about?? i was talking about the small vacuum hose that goes under the factory airbox..

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Misread the question - my bad. Was talking about the bit coming off the stock air intake pipe near to the airbox before it passes through the filter. It was 2am and I wasn't paying attention ;)

sikK11 - I know. I've removed mine. I noticed that there was actually a flat spot when I replaced the standard pipe with a large PVC one but it was only evident when the engine was cold. You're right in saying that most people wouldn't notice the difference though.

---dens

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
we put that air box on above and to be honest have not noticed any difference as we brought it with a ****ty pvc one on it. Only noticable thing is the aesthetics realy.

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
as sportsclassic said, the thin tube from the airbox is one of the carbon canister vacuum line.

it leads from the airbox down to the coolant temperature triggered valve, which probably only opens when the engines warms up.

the output tube from the same valve unit joins up with the other vacuum tube from below the TB with a y-splitter and finally leads up to the carbon canister vacuum feed.

the canister stores all the petrol tank fumes as the fuel level goes down and only releases the fumes into the inlet when the throttles closed.

so to answer ur Q, yea just block the tube. don't leave it open cos the canister would lose the vacuum and never releases the fumes properly (that is, if ya still want ur fumes emission control to work).

Back