Inner cv on driveshaft????

Hola. Been trying to resolve my shaft oil leak issue which is making me pull my hair out. After changing several seals me n the old man have been trying to find out the issue. Fitted new se from Nissan. Ran the car up. 10 mins later oil leak. The short shaft n/s was able to pull it out by hand. The shaft was floating back and forth. The circlip was not keeping the shaft in place. After several trial and error methods to see if can sort it the old man suggested maybe it's the incorrect cv joint on inner shaft. We measured inside the box how far in the circlip should go before 'clicks in' and how far the shaft circlip is located.
Photos below. Have I got an o/s inner cv fitted or is there something wrong with the gear box peeps??
b3386efe.jpg

d1b07f53.jpg

Cheers for any help. Ive only got tomorrow to get car ready for rally or no entry

24.5mm across splines. It's identical to long shaft inner joint . Should mention the box has a 5.1 cwp and a gripper LSD. Shouldn't really make any difference
d4847bc6.jpg

Thanks for reply

deffo 1.3/late 1.0 then eh (the pre98 1.0 ones are 21.6 dia) and its only the viscous diff that has the longer double spline i believe mate

Can't understand what the circlip is in wrong place unless a bearing had collapsed etc inside box? Run fine as far as I'm aware though. Just finished 2 rallies. Was thinking as last resort cutting a small ring for circlip into shaft with slitting disc. But would cause a weakness.

Can't understand what the circlip is in wrong place unless a bearing had collapsed etc inside box? Run fine as far as I'm aware though. Just finished 2 rallies. Was thinking as last resort cutting a small ring for circlip into shaft with slitting disc. But would cause a weakness.

i would slide the inboard c/v boot down the shaft as far as it will go kipsy and jubilee clip it, those potjoints have about 2" of lateral give and it,ll keep poping out else

Havnt really had issues with the cv joint itself just the oil is escaping from the gearbox oil seal.if the inner joint is moving in and out during driving it moving past the seal allowing oil to escape. When trailing the new seals the car has always been jacked up so the wheels/shafts are on full droop/extension.

Havnt really had issues with the cv joint itself just the oil is escaping from the gearbox oil seal.if the inner joint is moving in and out during driving it moving past the seal allowing oil to escape. When trailing the new seals the car has always been jacked up so the wheels/shafts are on full droop/extension.
yeh but the boot will keep it pushed into the g/box if you slide the thin end down tho eh (Y)

Oh I see what you mean. Bit of bodge though haha:p. Would really like to find the real issue though. Think the shafts are from Nissan and untouched from new!

Didn't pollyp have problems with his gripper lsd? iirc they sent him the wrong one

the first one had the lsd clutch on both sides so didn't have space for me speedo. the 2nd one had a clutch on only one side so i could fit the speedo. no probs with shaft seals etc

I've the earlier diff with no speedo etc. Your shafts don't move at all? I can't understand how the circlip is in the incorrect place though. Will try few more things in morning such as franks suggestion above etc. No one has a picture of an inner cv joint to compare? Got 2 spare long shafts but no shorts

I've the earlier diff with no speedo etc. Your shafts don't move at all? I can't understand how the circlip is in the incorrect place though. Will try few more things in morning such as franks suggestion above etc. No one has a picture of an inner cv joint to compare? Got 2 spare long shafts but no shorts

have you tried one of the longshaft joints into the nearside kipsy ? (just to see if it clips in)

k few pics from me spare 1.3 driveshaft and diff

the circlip on my 1.3 driveshafts are 43.6mm from the edge face

dsc05225n.jpg

the seal and the driveshaft surface are 40mm dia

this is my old 1.3 open diff after fitting my lsd, to see how it all fits

dsc05226z.jpg

at the inner edge of the planet gear the shafts slot into, you see the groove at the end of the splines, this is where the circlip clicks into. and its the same 43.6mm from the ends of the diff face as on the driveshaft

dsc05227om.jpg
dsc05229q.jpg

Thanks for the picture. Your description makes perfect sense. I'm off in garage now with a coffee and a fresh mind to have another look.(Y) need car done today!!

Tried remeasuring again today pollyp and seems I was looking at the incorrect area for the circlip to connect. Put circlip back in again. Slightly opened up soba bit tight going in and also did franks mod the same time. Run the car for 5 mins, no leaks. Went for a skid up the mountain. No leaks. Must of been the shaft migrating in an out allowing oil past the seals. Thanks all for your help!!(Y)
Hols tomorrow then rally next Saturday. Mixture of caerwent Tarmac and:laugh: forestry gravel. Should be interesting!!

in your first pic looks like you were not measuring deep enough, thought i'd keep quite and let the experts sort you out :grinning:

The recess in the end of the diff is where I thought the circlip was meant to fit. Blonde moment. Can't believe so many issues sealing a driveshaft

Back