inlet idea

superls

K10 Tuner
hi all, been thinking again, dangerous i know but ive come up with a revolutionary k10 inlet design, i think, lol

i really hate the standard inlet manifold, its horrible, i mean the af mix has to flow away from the engine then do a 180 degree u turn then into the engine, that cant be good, it also looks very restrictive

my idea is revolutionary see below and discuss

INLETIDEA.jpg

its pretty self explanitary, flange to head at bottom carb on the carb shaped hole.

the fuel might gravitate to the outer cylinders scott fwn, it,s a sharp angle to the inner 2 eh.
twin SU,s ftw :cool:

it is frank but no much more than standard eh?

to be fair the drawing is out of scale as it has no measurements to it its just a free hand drawing (in autocad lol).

i might try straightening the inner 2 up a little bit.

this is only to fill the gap between fitting my bike carbs, i have the resource and material available so its got to be worth a shot eh?

i shat make a card mockup at some point then i can alter it as appropriate. kitchen roll tubes ftw, lol

I've altered the original sketch (hope you don't mind me doing so). The main thing is that the sharp angles are "forbidden" in making a custom inlet, also avoid using box shaped profiles. The straight parts need to be longer in order to have an equal distribution of mixture, and the separation between the inner and the outer cylinders should be in favor of the inner ones to compensate the flow inertia.
60067390.jpg

thanks for altering it, but the main issue with it is the available space or lack of it between the engine and bulkhead, and i think your design will hit the bulkhead.

anyway, ive come up with a whole new concept, minimal 'sharp' edges, almost mm perfect equal length tubes, i hat 10 mins spare at work so 3d modeled it aswell. see below.
NEWINLET1.jpg

NEWINLET2.jpg

NEWINLET3.jpg

NEWINLET4.jpg

NEWINLET5.jpg

NEWINLET6.jpg

wot you think?

Superls

Would it not be worth while making one to find out if its any better, looks like a good design you have there

Also if its successful, then can you not add on another flange for a 2nd carb, then change the flange style to accept other carbs, such as webers?

Justa thought...

yes curtis it would be worth making one, i will be attempting it at the weekend probably, the flange where the carb bolts on will be made detachable so if i wanted a new carb fitted all i would have to do is make a new plate, hours job, then bolt it back on.

curtis ive a quick question, do you know the twin webbers you had, were the 4 inlet ports joined (like in my drawing) or was it 2 seperate 'chamberes' i.e. 1 for each carb?

That would be the best one (Y). I've seen that solution on earlier racing V8 engines. One upgrade though: the end of the pipe that connects to the central part (box) should be somewhat conical to improve the flow and prevent swirling.

would you not get the same probs us k11 guys get with nitrous? with the inlet runners going down then up wont you get fuel pooling in the bottom of the inlet?

@coz cheers, and yes it is designed to be used with the standard carb, whats a venturi?

@ant no plans of using nitrous is this still a problem without it, at the minute im exploring wheather there is enough space to raise the carb up a bit so then the inlet runners wont have to go down then up, or at least not as much.

i didnt mean you are using nitrous. just that with it on a k11 manifold, due to its down and up design, anything injected into the manifold simply condenses at the lowest point of the manifold and creates a pool of fluid, wheather that be fuel, nitrous or gas...

@ollie expence to be honest. injectors, fueling, management etc.

Megasquirt is a good budget engine management system and I reckon that could be used to get a simple EFI set up going.

I'm going down the Omex 600 route on my EFI conversion, which is not cheap! Around £600 + mapping. Although MFI could be an alternate route to go down, a very simple system for installation, setting up and running. I just think ditching the carb is a way to go! Or if you're serious on carb go for a decent weber set up, or bike carbs.

Ollie, i did have a megasquirt ecu but sold it ages ago as i thought id never use it, lol, kicking myself now, lol, ive looked at omex for my ignition but as you say a bit pricey. MFI??? (thought they sold sofas lol)

this new inlet, is only a sort of go bertween project until i put my bike carbs on anyway, just wanted to experiment with the inlet manifold to see if it made any differance, but ultimately i will be fitting bike carbs once i figure out who can jet and set them up correctly for my without it costing me the earth.

well having said that depending how well it goes i might just try a twin hitatchi (standard carb) setup.

Superls - A venturi is when the path narrows and then widens to the normal width again. This narrowing, speeds the airflow up.

Hope that makes sense

well having said that depending how well it goes i might just try a twin hitatchi (standard carb) setup.

i think this would be quite a good project i asked a while back if it had been done surely it would make good power and still have the choke and idle control also making it practical? plus you would hopefully still get that sweet spot when the second chamber opens up

ok cheers for that, well i already knew, as i measured it the other day lol,

work began yesterday on a special inlet design which im hoping will be as good if not better than the bike carbs i had.

i will update progress when there is any as mainly all i did was hacksaw some metal up and tack it together.

ill get pics tonight probably

i think this would be quite a good project i asked a while back if it had been done surely it would make good power and still have the choke and idle control also making it practical? plus you would hopefully still get that sweet spot when the second chamber opens up

yea but in theory with twice the kick, lol

^^ Nice. cant wait to see the gains this gives.

Would it be worth getting this manifold on a standard carb or 1.3 sunny carb. Would i see any gains if i had this setup?

thanks

Im not sure on the 1.3 carb front as i have never tried one, speedle has, and so has curtis, if there was one in my local scrapper i might be tempted to try it, but there isnt unfortunately.

depends on how easy it is to re-produce, and if it gives any gains etc, but if it actually works and its reasonably easy to reproduce (i have been taking real dimensions and noting them down etc) the i dont see why i cant make a few more for people.

That looks pretty good superls...cant wait for the finished product

Im sure you could make some money out of this lol

Back