Improving low end power/torque

skymera

Brutal Honesty
I cruise the motorways of Britain at a steady pace of 50-60mph and I find at this speed there isn't enough oomph to overtake lorries quickly especially on the slight uphills and when I do pull out sometimes it will take me a short while to gain speed to nip in front.

Doing some tests earlier on my 50mile M3 journey I found it easier to accelerate and maintain speed from 70mph onwards at around 4k-4.1krpm than I could at 50mph which is 3000rpm ish.

Accelerating in 5th at 52mph up a slight gradient on the motorway proves troublesome and the car struggles to gain any speed.

I don't like doing 70+ as I find my car...somewhat unpredictable at higher speeds and chooses to try and throw me into a ditch at any opportunity.

Doesn't seem like the car is down on power at all, still feels very nippy blasting down the local dual carriageways every now and then.

Would the much heavier wide steels with a smaller rolling radius have that big of an impact?
Or is this fairly normal and I've just grown tired of it? These are stupidly heavy, I guess 4 with tyres is near 100KG

Any ways to improve low-mid range power? 1.3 intake cam?

Perhaps the loud exhaust keeps me from accelerating harder as I try to keep it quiet....

a CG10 only has 25 whp @ 3k rpm scott, so you have no choice but to drop down a gear or two.
and a 1.3 inlet cam will give gains in the topend, a shortstroke 1.0 N/A engine will never have any "grunt"

I can vouch for a turbo, not only does it make the car faster but cruising and overtaking can be easily achieved in 5th. One of the best advantages about it

tuned intake pipe dia would see small gains in the midrange, as with tuned exhaust dia. More money than it's worth though. If I was after midrange I'd sell the 1.0 along with tubular mani and slot a 1.3 in instead.

Speaking of which, I'll probably have a 1.3 engine and stock manifold for sale soon. No gb though.

Doesn't giving the distributor retard give more lower range power? I noticed this before I had a timing lightr

A CG13 inlet cam worked well on my CG10, gains all over the rev range I'd say. You can advance the inlet cam as well and that will shift the power band further down, but it does seem to plateau at 5k though. Stock airbox seems to be best for low end power, but again there's little above 5k. The ecu uses the rpm and speed sensors to detect what gear your in, and increses the fuel input at WOT in 1st and 2nd gears iirc, you can trick it to increase fuel in all gears by disconnecting the speedsensor from the ecu. I didn't see any noticeable side effects apart from my datascan read the speed as 0mph, the gains wern't as near as big as fitting the cg13 cam, but noticeable.

m45 with mini charger manifold, cheapy intercooler, almera injectors, slightly longer drive belt, bracket to bolt to engine, remap. You could do it in a weekend.

Well I done my 30mile M4 trip today maintaining 65-70mph. Once I got to that speed it happily cruised with very little throttle.

I'll look into getting the tracking done again as I feel that is what is causing the "unpredictability" when driving.

Those banded steels will have a LOT of rotational inertia as most of the mass is towards the rim, narrower alloys would help a little, as will a lightweight flywheel. Alloy/space saver spare wheel or a can of tyre weld...

Probably, but the risk someone might not realise that and gives their money to these crooks is too high imo

Here you go!!! this link below will take you to solve your problems and its cheap!!

What you do is have an on board switch to turn on the fan WHEN your about to overtake in the Low - Midrange where your stressing with your problem and SORRRTEEED

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRIC-...cycle_Parts&hash=item4abc08a238#ht_1731wt_933

Should then give your micra a serious BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST with a smile on yer mug ---------> :D

J

yeh,,,,give em the right boooooosting on here :)

Well I done my 30mile M4 trip today maintaining 65-70mph. Once I got to that speed it happily cruised with very little throttle.

I'll look into getting the tracking done again as I feel that is what is causing the "unpredictability" when driving.

I think something might be wrong there mate. Most of my driving is on motorways and my 1.0 (with 1.3 inlet cam) will happily sit at 75-80mph all day.
Your right in what you say in that it will hold this speed better than say 55-60mph

Back