Low on power, any ideas?

Tchaaa

Buy & Sell Member
So I've been noticing lately that my 1.3 L reg SLX is somewhat down on power. With just me in it I can whack it up to about 90mph / 95 at a push, which is not too bad and not really a problem.

However I made a short trip on the M25 yesterday with four people in the car and noticed that with my foot planted as heavily as possible we where struggling to maintain 65 miles an hour, and surely that's not right?

I have been considering stripping some weight off the car to counteract it but I don't really want to have to remove much from the car, so that's that idea pretty much out of the window.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I could do to aid the problem? I've got a trip to wales planned next month, which will involve a full car, 5 people and luggage, so can only imagine the problem might get worse and on a journey of that distance I'd like to be able to at least manage the speed limit on the motorways to try and make it as shorter ordeal as possible.

I know this is a really vauge problem and anything could be causing it but all advice is welcomed, thanks guys!

Well mine mine didnt go over 140kmh with just me in it. Then we adjusted the ignition timing and replaced 1 damaged HT lead and it is now flying well over 100mph :) Worth a look ;) Also look at plugs etc....

i got 105mph out of my standard 1ltr with 4 ppl and a boot full! however not really possible now due to the low ratio box and the little wheels

Daniel

I WILL be back...
I've managed 110mph on a long straight flat road, and it was still climbing, but then I ran out of road (and 120mph down a hill :laugh:). And mine's only a 1.0l. So there is definitely something wrong with yours, they can easily reach 120mph if the road is long enough

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
I hope all you guys are talking about private roads/tracks lol
Most cars are always out on speed readings by a mph or two... mine is 75mph=70mph

Daniel

I WILL be back...
I hope all you guys are talking about private roads/tracks lol
Most cars are always out on speed readings by a mph or two... mine is 75mph=70mph

Of course :wasntme:.

And mine seems to be really accurate after fitting my alloys. 70mph really is 70mph, according to both my satnavs and my phone (Y)

Looks like this became a ####ing contest how fast we can all go lol!

My SR feels a but down on power at 105k, gonna get a new distributor, NGK HT leads and new plugs see If that helps!

Any other ideas? Could CAT but blocked up a bit lowering the rate exhaust gases can escape? (right now I'm just having a stab in the dark)

Pepper

Daniel

I WILL be back...
Just thought, they do tend to feel slower if you've got more people in the car - I remember once managing to get 4 people, 4 BMXs, 4 heavy rucksacks filled with tools/food, camera equipment, and a full tank of fuel. Struggled to get up to 60mph :laugh:.

Maybe try new sparks and HT leads, check there's no fuel leaks anywhere, clean up your injectors and check for rust/corrosion, make sure all your fluids are topped up, check it's running on all cylinders. Not sure what else you could try.

blocked cat/exhaust or intake( air filter),a restriction in flow will smother the engine, other faults like a nackered injector/blocked fuel filter would casue it to run like a bag of spanners, and nackered leads/plugs would cause missing/back firing.

OP
OP
Tchaaa

Tchaaa

Buy & Sell Member
Not 100% on the state of it, going to get it back later today, it's still resting in it's self-made ditch. Driveshaft snapped when we tried to move it but the engine runs mint still minus a lot of smoke from where I've obliterated the rad. But other than the engine bay being reorganised a bit, I think it might be just bodywork and a headlamp that's taken the brunt. I feel so lucky to have just walked away like I did, had a tree about a foot away from either side so could have been far far worse.

I'm fine, lots of aches and pains and I was alone in the car, two of my friends where in the car behind me and they made sure I was alright.

Daniel

I WILL be back...
That's pretty damn lucky then, for the car and, more importantly of course, yourself. Like you say, could have been a lot worse

OP
OP
Tchaaa

Tchaaa

Buy & Sell Member
Thought up 3 different plans regarding the car, which I'll decide on when I see it.

1. Get Parts / A donor car and fix up the SLX.
2. Get another micra, move any parts that could be of use in from the SLX.
3. Break the SLX into parts, sell on in bits and look at getting a new car.

Daniel

I WILL be back...
Probably better off with the 3rd option, just to be safe. 2nd option if you know the parts are safe to use (Y)

Damn, was going to post something about sorting out the power then saw the crash! Yikes, take care of yourself man.

I'd say any repair work on that would be far more than the car is worth (£££ wise).

id say thats stuffed, the chassis will be twisted and out of shape judging by the crease behind the passenger side wing! lucky micras are two to a penny eh. aslong as your too damaged mate,thats the main thing.

OP
OP
Tchaaa

Tchaaa

Buy & Sell Member
Got the car back Thursday evening, and she's a goner. So much bent metal it's ridiculous.

So, once it's stripped and the bits are sold, moving on up to K12 land, will be very sad to be leaving the world of the K11 but my parents are really freaking out about the fact I nearly died and have told me I need something safer.