im relocating the lamda sensor...

imp124

Buy & Sell Member
since my ST is in bits and slowly being built up again, i am trying to put it back together properly etc, i had a good search of the forum last night and found Baz's thread about relocating the oxygen sensor.

http://www.micra.org.uk/showthread.php?t=24633&highlight=oxygen+sensor

I have had a look at the turbo and manifold etc and the sensor seems to still be in its original position, which i agree is very vunerable before the turbine, so i will be relocating this to the start of the down pipe (is this an ok place?)

Just one quick question, i take it the thread on the oxygen sensor is not a standard metric size, where can i get a threaded boss to weld onto the pipe, also what should i block the existing hole with?

Cheers

Steve

they,re 18mm metric fine steve, good stockists will have nuts and bolts (all of mine have been used up :wasntme:), and if its a single wire (unheated) one you dont want it too far down eh :)

Thanks for the quick reply Frank, well thats good news that the threads fairly 'normal' i was going to put it just after the manifold flange approx 50mm down to avoid this problem (my super s lamda wires melted :D ) and i take it a safe way to block the existing hole is a correctly threaded bolt with some good sealant?

p.s. i dont know 1st hand of any 'nut and bolt' shops :D hardware stores?

p.s. i dont know 1st hand of any 'nut and bolt' shops :D hardware stores?

a local engineering firm will know of a proper stockist steve (i used one in tamworth near work, but we,re off for 2 weeks :wasntme:) p/f k11,s have a removable thead/boss if anyone has a scrap mani ?

lol ok cheers, just took out the sensor, it looks like there are small 'pebbles' sticking out of it and when i shake it (holding the sealing washer) it rattles!? i some how dont think it should do this

Steve

as frank said m18 fine, if your getting a replacement one get a heated one then it wont suffer from the colder temp (if any)

i think i have a spare in with the bits john gave me with the car, i am only doing this really as it doesnt seem a good design to have the sensor before the turbine wheel and i dont have a replacement turbo :D and spent enough already without that going

if the other sensors dud then i will bare this in mind ;)

Cheers

Steve

Glad you read my old advice. Just in the elbow after the turbine is fine.

Glad you read my old advice. Just in the elbow after the turbine is fine.

I don't know a lot about ST's as you well know from all the stupid questions i keep asking :) so i have been looking through the ST forum for all the known faults and things to change so i 'hopefully' don't have to rip it all apart again. All these points im finding / happen are also getting written down in my book so i know what to do if they happen again :D

Anyway, i have found a suitable nut and bolt to close the existing hole and will get onto this tomorrow

Cheers

Steve

I don't know a lot about ST's as you well know from all the stupid questions i keep asking :) so i have been looking through the ST forum for all the known faults and things to change so i 'hopefully' don't have to rip it all apart again. All these points im finding / happen are also getting written down in my book so i know what to do if they happen again :D

Anyway, i have found a suitable nut and bolt to close the existing hole and will get onto this tomorrow

Cheers

Steve

Man your dead right aking all the questions don't worry,even though it is annoying for us other st owners lol.

the boss and blank can be bought on ebay for small money and work perfect. dont use any sealer just get new sensor and an extra sealing washer for the blank

Back