ignitor chip

Batch

Ex. Club Member
Sorry to taint the Micra site with a Primera question but does anyone know what the ignitor chip is and where it is located in the engine bay of the prims?

is it only confined to DET engines or are they present in all engine types?

ignitorchip2.jpg

looks like this?

ignitor chip?!! That sounds like the words of somone who doesnt know what they are on about. Do you mean ignition amplifier module - which by the way will be in the engine bay.

It will be on the ECU loom. Usually not far from the coil/coil packs.

59 bhp is more than enough said:
ignition amplifier module, does that work kind of like a coil to boost current for ignition

No. Its just a transistor(s) that switches the coils on and off to make a spark. On nissan ECU's (real nissan) the ignition drivers are external to the ecu, on later ones (like the Renault K11 with bosche motronic) they are internal. Depending on your SR20 weather its got a distributor or not will change what type of ignition amp module you have, for example if you have a dist system, it will have one coil and the ignition amp will have 3 wires, and often is right next to the coil. If you have a coil per plug system, your ignition amp will have 9 wires, and is always on the same loom as the ignition coils.

more developments unfortunately

On the phase 1 and 2 de engines this should be located on the left hand side of the engine bay (or so the haynes says), Gilo who's kindly supplying the parts doesn't seem to have this chip (his apparently is a phase 1 highport), could there be a reason for this?

On the later models (phase 3, which mine is as it's a 96 P reg P11 GT 'black top') it's integral to the dizzy, if I’m using Gilo's parts of the P10 egt I assume i'd have to get hold of this 'power transistor' (but gilo's doesn't have one visible either?) or is it safe to assume that if his doesn't have one it will be inside the dizzy as it is in the Phase 3?

Good question, you can relate this to the K11, which from memory rather appaulingly I cannot remember BUT I think that its entirely possible its all intergrated with the dizzy - it would definately make sense.

Yes, it is integrated on some Primera distributors. A 1996 P11 SRi I worked on recently has both the coil and amplifier module in the distributor.

Back