Idle

What exactly is idling? I mean, I know, but is the engine still idling if I am rolling forward at a very slow speed?

I'm asking because when I'm at a complete standstill, the car idles poorly. However, if I am rolling forward, the engine sounds fine.

The car is in neutral the whole time.

Is it supposed to make a difference?

so your saying if you start your car as normal just letting it tick over its sounds crap but if you pushed it forward by hand? the engine tickover changes and it sounds ok?does it misfire at all when reved or driven?also what does it idle at?

What exactly is idling? I mean, I know, but is the engine still idling if I am rolling forward at a very slow speed?
I'm asking because when I'm at a complete standstill, the car idles poorly. However, if I am rolling forward, the engine sounds fine.
The car is in neutral the whole time.
Is it supposed to make a difference?
The fact that the car is in neutral makes me believe (I'm happy to stand corrected on this) that the ECU detects speed, and as such increases idle slightly when it realises the car is moving with a closed throttle. When the car becomes stationary, idle falls once again.
Mine's the same mate. In neutral and in gear, rolling along at idle.
When car stops, idle drops to lower than I'd like.

Changed the MAF a few weeks ago as she was stalling approaching junctions if I dipped the clutch and slipped her into neutral. She'd also stall if I quickly turned on and off electrical loads and turned the power steering side to side.
Since installing the new MAF (£33, ebay), she doesn't stall anymore (Y) but I reckon the idle could still do with being a little higher. I'm happy to live with it though, as there's no way Nissan are fleecing £500 :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: outta me for a throttle body.

Andy, if completely still it sounds crap but if I let it roll, whether it be pushed by hand or rolled downhill or something the idle improves, but I guess what Smudger has said explains it. It never misfires when revving or anything and there is no apparent loss of power. The poor idle is only when it has warmed up as well. Does this sound like a throttle body problem?

Smudger, I tried a cheap MAF from a scrappy but it made it worse so the scrappy one was faulty and I'm guessing mine is fine. The same is with mine when using the power steering and rear window heater and other electrical stuff, but it never quite stalls.

Thanks for your replies. I think I'll just put up with it. As far as I can see it's causing no harm at the moment.

if this was mine i would take the t/b off give it a good clean out then back on then take the plugs out and clean and (adjust if needs be) or renew them.
the timing could be out, maybe worthwhile getting a diagnostic check done.
(thinking outside the box) check your engine mounts. it could be something simple like idle speed mixture incorrect. where in the uk are you if you are in the uk that is ?

Back