Catalytic Converters - what's the law?

R

Rusty

Hi guys,

I'd really like to replace my exhaust system on the Supra to a stainless steel affair but I'm worried about the cats. Unfortunately it has 2 - one in the downpipe near the turbo and the other one further along. The car was first registered in September 1992. Will it be illegal for me to remove the exhaust and replace it with a straight through one?

I've done some searching and the law seems very hazy with many people saying different things. Couple of the MK3 Supra lads say it will be fine as the earlier MK3's didn't have the cats at all, but I'm a bit unsure. :suspect:

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Rhys

There is a definate year before which you don't need a cat, then a period where if it was fitted as standard it has to be fitted for MOT then a point after which it was complusory. Useless info as I can't remember the actual years but I'm 99% sure you're ok without the cat either because of the 1st or 2nd reason.

Personally I'd decat & wait for someone to tell me I can't but that's just me :) If you really want to know ask your friendly neighbourhood MOT station or police station and they will put you straight.

sept 92, I think youll be fine. I'm 99% sure about that

Ed

you dont have to have cat fitted aslong as your imissions are legal,,doubt youd get them legal without at east one tho

You could always pop into your local MOT testing station and ask if they would check the emissions on your car?

Yeah could do, it's just passed with the cats in at the moment so there's no immediate problem, I was just wondering. Thanks for the replies guys.

Rhys

There will be books in the mot station for weather they need testing or not. For example ALL K10s regardless of age (Including L plate ones) are exempt from the test. You may find that yours is as well.

Back