I have a big problem.

Puddy

Ex. Club Member
Okay, I changed the battery the other morning, as the old one was shot to pieces and wouldnt even run the radio.

My micra is now doing all sorts of weird things. Such as the 'malfunction' light come on. I looked in the manual, and apparently this is something to do with NATS.
Whatever it is, it's stopping the use of the speedo, indicators, and this annoying flashing yellow malfunction light.

In the manual it says the only thing that can solve this is for the car to be taken to a Nissan dealer. I obviously want to avoid this if possible, due to expense and that there isn't exactly one local.

Is this a common problem with a simple repair solution? (please say yes!)

(Just a side note, when replacing the battery, I did accidently touch the positive to the negative and the negative to the positive, but only for a fraction of a second)

The car does, however, start and idle, which means there is nothing wrong with the alternator, as i'm reliably informed.

PLEASE HELP!!

puddy

it sounds like to me, you,ve blown a fuse, and there might be info on re-setting the mil on the ilexa forum

(Just a side note, when replacing the battery, I did accidently touch the positive to the negative and the negative to the positive, but only for a fraction of a second)

Check EVERY fuse, if that doesnt solve it, you have probably damaged something (yes even for a fraction of a second)

Okay. Well I will check all the fuses I can find (the ones near the battery, and im guessing there's a fusebox around the glove compartment?)

And as long as the light doesn't have a knock-on effect on the ECU or will lead to anything more sinister if left flashing then I'm not too fussed, i'll just put a bit of tape over it.

Thanks for your help so far, you two

(Y)

the fuses are on the drivers side,

always when fault finding in electronics is to check every fuse, even the ones that seem unrelated.

you may have blown some stuff up, but its hard to tell until you find out what fuses are blown, there may be damage to the ECU, possibly to the guage cluster, other than that there isn't much in the way of electronics in a micra

The fuses are all okay!
It seems that the only things that aren't working are things that are fused via the interior fuse box, such as indicators, wipers, gauges etc. Is there an inline fuse that feeds this?

Strangely enough (and fortunately) the engine and the engine management system works fine still, so nothing damaged there.

Is there a wiring diagram for this anywhere out there?

Sorry to bump this thread again, but i do really need to get this sorted out asap.

Thanks

there is a wiring diagram for the engine side of things floating around somewhere but thats not what you need.

there is a high gauge wire coming into the back of the fuse box (white with a red stripe) this will go up to the fuse box in the engine bay, those are hefty 25amp fusable links in there, i'd check them, if not then check that the wire hasn't come undone, its attached to the bottom of the fuse box with a brown plug which houses a spade connector, the other end of the wire is in the engine bay attached to a grey plug again housing a spade connector.

Back