how to prep rear lights for tinting?

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
as above, how do prepare some rear lights for tinting? i know i should clean them with a scawering pad..then should i use emory paper to key them? as i know tint spary is like p**s lol.

a wipe with cellulose thinners will etch the surface and help the paint key on (not too much tho, coz it melts the plastic :eek: )
same goes for plastic bumpers ;)

yearh...ive been to motor factors and orded a tin that will come tomorrow, so should have them done for the weekend...iam leaving the reflector un-smoked so they are leagl, dont fancie tinting it and the hasstle of swapping lights come MOT. also sanded the letters off the plastic so they are smooth :p

just make sure the reflectors show through the tint, and the lights! ive just masked my reflector off and tinted the rest...

the k12 is very different as the reflector is on the outside all the way round unless you get lexus light then the reflector is on the indicator lol

the reflectors on the k11 facelifts lights are on around the otside of one of the bubbles so you would have to tint the whole light as it would look odd imo, plus would be a nightmare to mask off! hence why i used prefcaelift lights, as the reflector is in a strip and it easy to mask...also they look smoother as they dont have the bubbles like my standard facelift ones :)

3 10mm bolts and aload of sealent stuff! its a right nightmare..i just used a falt blade and my hands! took me 10minutes to take both off.

yearh and when i fit the smoked ones the sealent stuff has to seal the gaps or it will leak water inside of the boot...and iam re-using the old sealent :p

ive done it before...but the boot did leak, so i used some new sealent stuff from nissan...hopefully this time i can just reuse the old stuff without any trouble!

Haha when I took the one of my broken rear lights off my dad thought i was being a sissy girl trying to get it off :laugh: funny when he struggled getting it off :p

yearh its just a thin strip...
P1010050.jpg

yer, but you dont need to mask the whole lot off, i only masked a little bit of my reflector when i did it and its still legal.

Longlife7.jpg

right ok so i could mask off a smaller section ill post a pic up of what i mean

infact ive been dumb lol just checked moddeds pic cheers really helped me out here!

Back