how to get rid of rust?

hi, as you can see what my title says. to get to the point. how do you actually get rid of rust? whats the remedy for it? is it hard? how much will it cost? my k11's got abit of rust bubbles on the bonnet and so. and also my body has got scratches on it too. how do you get rid of them?
there were no scratches until i washed the car and realised at the end that i had been using the green part of the spunge with is rough so by that my scratches appeared!!! :mad: :down: well thanks in advance. please do tell me as i would love to learn and do it myself!

abit of t-cut would fix the scratches if it's shallow.

could use stuff like krust or similar on rust which turns it into black rust then paint over it but they only slow it down slightly.

best solution is to completely remove rust by sanding/wirebrushing it down to bare metal, rust treatment, prime and repaint it.

Just saw this thread and thought I'd post something up to tell you, You don't have it as bad as me.....:D

RUUUUST.jpg

Yep. It's not costing anything TBH. I work part time in a bodykit factory where we do paint and body next door. I'll definitely be putting up some walkthroughs on how and what to do for everyone here. Keep an eye out eh.

Yep. It's not costing anything TBH. I work part time in a bodykit factory where we do paint and body next door. I'll definitely be putting up some walkthroughs on how and what to do for everyone here. Keep an eye out eh.

yeh thanks that would be good.

Ok as promised i have an update for you Nainy. I'll post in this thread for reference.

1.) Take 1x rusty Micra.

BeforetheDA.jpg

2.) Get 1x Cheef in his battle gear.

CHEEF-CHEEFINGAROUND.jpg

3.) You'll need a DA with a 180 Grit paper. (Or at least it's what I used).

1180Grit.jpg

4.) Lightly rub off the rust with 180 (or higher depending on how thick it actually is!)

Startingtotakeitoff.jpg

5.) Now you should have something like THIS:

HowItshouldlook.jpg

6.) You'll need to wipe it down with some spirit (Not Vodka :D) or a clean tissue,
and Start to apply a thin and even layer of primer with one of these:

22packprimer.jpg

7.) Nearing completion now and it SHOULD look similar to this:

Lightbasing.jpg

8.) Finally you should wait for your first light coat of primer to settle and dry THEN lay on some more evenly. Making sure not to get runs in it. Also you'll want to primer the bits that wont really see daylight, like the inside flanges and under chassis fitting as well as behind the door section.
Like so:

Thouroughjob.jpg

I will get more as I do more. Just ask. :)

bubbles in the paint mean the rust is under the paint work and is working it's way along. TBH it depends on the area. if it's light rust then just do what has already been mentioned and clear the area then paint it. If it's a bubble it may be time to cut that area out and repair it. In the case of a bonnet it may be a new bonnet (extreme but effective).

there in the UK any vehicle not micras in particular, do rust a lot... we get the saying that it's cos of the 'salt' thrown out when it's frosty outside... if that's so..no wonder the rust early.. my k11 turned 15 this yr and has a very small slight corner of rust which is still pre-mature :p

remember that the K11 sills rust inside out, so if you are feeling or seeing rust on the outside of the rear sills, chances are it's already rusted through inside.

or firstly replace the 3 layer sill that they have! since it doesnt matter if you spray wax oil on the inside if it has already started rusting.

cut it out and as your rebuilding it! before you tack over the wheel arch curve, spray your sealer in at this point! to seal the inside

then seal the outer etc once complete!

Back