Rust problems

mickey&me

Site Supporter
hi everyone

Im new here! my name is Ash from Coventry and I have aquired a K11 SR 1996, I have rust quite a lot of places, the worst is my rear wheel arces (bubbling rust and flakes off too) and the rest are little under my side mirrors, bonnet, front wings etc i have scrathes everywhere too.

how much do you all think it will cost to repair the rust and to re touch the paint work on my little SR, rough estimates will do lol coz i need to save!!! starting today. is it possible to DIY? im still learning so any info will be much abliged

Thanks

as for an estimate well we cant see how bad the rust is so we couldnt give a price.

as for DIY
well ive just started to do my own rust repair and it was difficult at first and did a few bodge jobs but with practice i got alot better
just a rough guide so you know what your in for if you do go DIY
1. remove all rust from the area, use sandpaper or a wire brush.
2. treat the area with some sort of rust prevention. (kurust or something like that)
3. use p40 (or fibreglass) to patch up the hole
4. use p38 (or body filler) to create top surface
5 use 1200 sandpaper to sand your area back to how it was originally
6 then use primer
7 then re sand if necessary (then re primer if necessary)
8 then spray
9 then i use t-cut to blend the paint best i can then wax to make it shine

this is very time consuming work

i hope this helps

Bal's given some good info there but please be sure you want to attempt this yourself, paint blending is alot harder than you might think, I've messed up few doors over time but have also had some great sucesses.

Might be good if you can get some pics up of the problem.

yes goldstars right
blending your paint to match the paint on your car can take hour and is very tricky to do

heres a few things i found and still havent really figured out hopefully they will help

in the hot weather the grey primer i use tends to crack when drying and this leaves the bodywork uneven and partially not primered. (making the work longer and harder to do)

my car has a mirror effect shine which if it isnt sprayed with a certian technique the paint will look matt and totally odd and out of place, does yours?

corners and bends are the easyest to do as they can hide imperfections in the paint, only attempt flat panel work when you have experience

right now im delocking the passenger door and having a right problem getting the paint to bend, because its a flat surface that runs the length of the car, so when you stand back you can see a sort of "patch" of new paint, havent figured this one out yet but its gonna be alot of work.

Back