How to clean the Mass Air Meter?

My wife's Micra is suffering the poor idle and stalling problem.

On ford and VAG cars I've cleaned the MAF in the past which has helped.

The Micra inlet is a bit awkward to get into! I was expecting to see a Platinum wire in the inlet duct and went as far as removing the throttle body whilst looking for the mass air meter, but couldn't see anything that resembled one.

The side cover of the throttle body is riveted on so I didn't attempt to explore further in case the throttle lost its calibration.

There is a small sensor (thermistor) bolted to the top of the inlet manifold which I cleaned. I assume it's an inlet temp sensor.

Any ideas about how to access the air mass meter would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Oh right, I'm sure someone on here did the same and said something about a bit of black plastic mesh that needs removing to get at it.

have fun on finding the maf on a k12! simply because it dont got one :laugh: its map based

poor idle + k12 then let me guess high milage? or older k12 anything from 03 plate to 54 plate? i warn you it could get expensive

have fun on finding the maf on a k12! simply because it dont got one :laugh: its map based

That would explain why I couldn't see it then.

It's an 03 car with about 40K miles It idles unevenly and sometimes stalls.

So, what are the likely causes?

And its only advisable to clean the wire type MAF's, and not the hot film ones as it totally kills them out.

03 on 40K what oil changes has it had and was genuine oil filters used, it sounds pos timing chain

It's been regularly serviced, with quality parts and treated fairly carefully.

The timing chain hasn't broken(!) and the fault is intermittent, usually in colder conditions.

Back