Air flow meter problem

Hi, no I've not tried replacing the spark plugs yet as I've not had any more free time this week to continue working on the car. My socket set with the extender bit on it didn't reach far enough to take the old ones out when I worked on it earlier in the week :mad: Thanks for the link, I'll take a look at that. I have it down in my notes as needing to be a 1.1mm gap too. The Bosch spark plugs that I bought from Euro car parts have like 4 prongs over the electrode rather that the single one that you normally see where you set the gap with the gauge so hopefully they will be ok.

I need to know what type of security star bit I need to take off the TPS sensor and the larger one I need to take off the idle control valve if anyone could let me know please!

I've bought some electrical contact cleaner so I'm hoping spraying the tps and the idle control valve will cure the problem that the engine management is still complaining about. I got a replacement MAF sensor just in case and I'm going to clean the meter with carb & throttle cleaner as much as I can get to without taking it out.

Hi Tezz, do you think any of those cleaning operations might help with my problem? Must say I do not have your skills, but would happily go for it if is nothing too complicated. I did change the oil filter and oil myself, also fitted the cigarette lighter myself, so I am not afraid of getting dirty.

Hi All, My first post here...

Micra 1.0 2001 (Y plate)

it starts first time, idles ok and doesn't stall but there's a big issue with the throttle response, when starting in first gear or if stationary and out of gear, pressing the accelerator has the opposite effect, the revs reduce to practically nothing and there's a sound of blowing from the front end of the car (may be the engine bay or underneath), to get it going I have to really drag the clutch and pump the accelerator on and off (to try to prevent it stalling.. although it never has). When it's heated up and been run for a while it's not quite as bad but still rough. There's a total lack of power too in the higher gears and it struggles to get up to 60 in 5th gear on the motorway.

Thanks,
Tezz.

Hi all (sorry to hijack this).

Just like Tezz pointed out I'm having the same problems (with my X reg 2000 - face lift with coil pack) for the past 3-4weeks. But this week I started to really notice the lack of power, when cold or warm.

After reading a bit this morning I did a 10 min test run with MAF connection unplugged, the car pulled away fine and the power returned. (happy to wheel spin). So I plugged the connection back on to the MAF and drove 10 miles to work. Once again I had a lack of power and not getting past 55-60mph in 5th. So on the return trip I unplugged the MAF connection and could do 50-60 in 3rd.

Any more possible checks to see if it is the MAF and or some thing else?

After checking Ebay MAF prices range from £12.85 to £60+ and a lot of choice.

Also looking at "torx ts star" what size would work to remove the MAF?

Thanks in advanced for any help / advise any one can offer

one of the posts says ts25 ? and the ebay mafs seem to have a poor reputation, i would advise using a genuine bosch one from a (QG iirc) which are rubber mounted i believe (and subject to less vibration)

Just an update:

After getting the correct tool TS25 (and not a T25), I cleaned the MAF with CRC and the throttle body with Carb cleaner. After a 10 mile drive the check engine is light now off :) and the car runs a lot smoother.

But I found that with out the MAF connected (more air flow due to ECU setting?) the car pulled away a lot faster.

I found it hard to source a OE bosch MAF and if it needs replacing I mite have to use ebay

Just an update:

After getting the correct tool TS25 (and not a T25), I cleaned the MAF with CRC and the throttle body with Carb cleaner. After a 10 mile drive the check engine is light now off :) and the car runs a lot smoother.

But I found that with out the MAF connected (more air flow due to ECU setting?) the car pulled away a lot faster.

I found it hard to source a OE bosch MAF and if it needs replacing I mite have to use ebay

Hi,

How did you clean the TB? Did you open the whole TB or removed the air box and the mash on the top of the TB and sprayed from there?

Can you write a step-by-step instruction on how to do that?
Its really really appreciated.

Regards

Hi,

How did you clean the TB? Did you open the whole TB or removed the air box and the mash on the top of the TB and sprayed from there?

Can you write a step-by-step instruction on how to do that?
Its really really appreciated.

Regards

It had a little oil or varnish on the cover plate and just inside the opening (for air flow)

Remove MAF, before using Carb cleaner cleaner (don't clean the MAF with Carb cleaner)

Remove the top of the air box and filter.

Used a straw to get between and passed the mesh.

A few Sprays of Carb cleaner, when the engine is running 2 to 3 times. The engine mite cut out but it re-started easy after.

I left the MAF dry for 1 hour, as well the air box and filter then refitted all parts.

Not sure if it will work for you.

I've looked in Halfords and Maplins and I've seen lots of different security bits but not one with 5 pointed star on it , Nissan seems to have gone to great trouble to stop removal of this part! I've certainly not given up yet though! might try the slot in screwdriver trick as suggested!:grinning:

snap-on definitely do these tools.... mates with a dealer.

its snap-on though so it'll be a f***ing fortune!

Hi, I hope that someone will help me. :) I have Micra k11 , and few months ago I had a car crash. Since than, I've been visiting tons of mechanics, and still my problem isn't solved. However, when MAF is plugged, engine doesn't work well. I have ordered a new one, and it's the same thing. Then, they told me that the MAF that I have is ok, so I went to put it on computer, to see if there is some other problem,. and it shows nothing! It seems like everything is fine, but I still have a problem. :( I have changed whole throttle body, they checked if there are any crack or something that will cause this problem, and still nothing. I really don't know what to do now, so If anyone have any idea, it would be great! Thanks in advance. ;)

Back