How Long Would It Take a Competant Mechanic...

..to change the rear brake shoes on a K11. I've just got hold of a brand new set for £4.99 (both sides). There's a local mechanic to me that charges £20 p/h.

Also seperately, how long to replace the CV boot, I picked a genuine one today with a CV joint for £15.00. Probably worth just replacing the CV joint too while he's under the car.

Thanks

To do it at a comfortable pace it should take about an hour to do both sides. As for the cv boot, that depends on how well greased your bolts are :laugh: there's nothing worse than a stubborn driveshaft nut. But ideally (i.e. if everything comes apart nicely) no more than 30mins for the boot.

Hope that helps you out kiddo.

book time (autodata) would be about 1/2 hr for the brakes, and about the same for the c/v, but you have to "go some" to do it all in 1 hr tho :eek:

The rear shoes can be a fiddly job so 1hr to do both sides is fair and the cv has a lot of parts to be removed/moved before getting to the cv joint so tbh id quote another hour

thanks for the replies.

Just one FINAL question. The CV joint including Boot Kit that I bought was for the 1.0L K11. Is this also suitable for the 1.3L K11 which I have or are the parts different?

Don't want to scare you but the last time me and a friend changed rear shoes it took almost 2hrs, the long springs (the retaining ones) just did not want to play fairly, oh and I forgot to put the adjuster leaver back on and we never noticed until we'd finished :doh:

Don't want to scare you but the last time me and a friend changed rear shoes it took almost 2hrs, the long springs (the retaining ones) just did not want to play fairly, oh and I forgot to put the adjuster leaver back on and we never noticed until we'd finished :doh:

i bet you did,nt take the hub off karl ? its a very fiddly job with the hub in the way

That reminds me i need to sort mine out. :(
i have a sratchy sound when using the hand brake or pedal when cold. goes away when i have used the brakes a few times.

me too

Back