How does the driveshaft come out?

slimey

Club Member (Trial)
I've picked up a gearbox from a scrappy, and I'm just tidying it up before I go for swapping it onto my Micra. Everything seems fine with it, except it came with about 6" of one of the driveshafts still attached (it's obviously been cut to remove it from the old car). I can't work out how to remove the remaining bit of driveshaft from the gearbox! It's the passenger side driveshaft, there's about 6" of shaft, then the inner CV Joint. I've tried just pulling the shaft, but all that seems to happen is that the inner CV joint pulls apart a bit, then stops.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Simon

wedge a screwdriver between the box and the CV, you have to pull it but like you said you cant pull the drive shaft itself because it moves, so a big screwdriver will sort it. it should ping :D there is a little clip holding it and once that pings out of place it should slide out nicely and then cover you in gearbox oil :D

Perfect - now have a nice gearbox ready to go in once I get the old one out.

Stripped out the driveshafts and starter motor. Disconnected the gearstick linkage. Tomorrow evening I'll try to remove the old gearbox, which'll leave the weekend to put it all back together again.

Turns out that the CV Joints I bought aren't the right ones... At the moment I'll plan to put it back together with the old ones still in - anyone know how many splines I should have on the CV joint, so I can have a better attempt at getting the right ones. I really don't want to take the CV Joint off to count them before ordering as it'll take the car off the road for a couple more days...

Thanks,

Simon

simon

your car should have the smaller pre 98 1.0 g/box, and if you,ve bought a later or 1.3 g/box, you,ll have a problem with the clutch spline, shafts, mounts and g/change

Oh, that's not a problem - I've definitely got an identical gearbox to swap in. However, I bough a couple of CV Joints from an ebay seller as well, to change while I had the driveshafts out - but the ones I've bought are wrong - they have an extra set of splines around the large metal shell.

Simon

Yeah - I think that's it. I didn't think the K11 had an ABS version (which is probably what threw me when I was ordering)...

Simon

Okay... I'm on the final stages of putting everything back together after the gearbox change. However.... Is there a trick to getting the drivers side driveshaft back into the diff? The other one went in with a little tap from a hammer, but the drivers side one just won't go in...

Also, I've got a spare cable... It's the cable from the negative terminal on the battery... Goes down to the bodywork, then continues onto somewhere, but I didn't notice where it came off of - can anyone let me know?

Thanks,

Simon

simon

have you tried turning the shaft to line up the splines ?
and thats the engine earth cable, goes to the starter bolt

thanks frank!

turns out it was the circlip being awkward. If I took it off, the driveshaft went straight in, so I just tightened it up a little bit, and then the driveshaft went in with a small amount of persuasion.

Just taken the car for a test drive, and it's like a different car.

*super happy*

Simon

Back