How do i make a parcel shelf?

well i want to mount two 6x9's in my parsel shelf.
i dont want to start cutting into the orignal parsel shelf and plus i wont get the full quality of the speakers.

so what is the best thing to make the shelf out of?
when the new one is in do i have to screw that one down so it cant move?
is there anything that i need to know or do before?

it is for a 98 k11 with high vis brake light.

thanks

Grant

Best thing to make it from is MDF. As it is good for the sound of the speakers. Easiest way to do it is to draw around the original parcel shelf. Once you have done this go and measure for any cuts you have to make for brackets etc. Then cut your speaker holes and material it. Quite simple. :) Make sure you wear a dust mask though as the dust from MDF is harmful. Hope this helps. :D

Your best bet is getting a nice thick sheet of MDF from homebase or somewhere and make it from that. Use the original shelf and speaker templates to put it all together, then carpet it over.

Autoleads acustic carpet and spray glue are fantastic items when it comes to making your own shelf. I used it them on mine.

Yes you should fix it down.

Also, birch ply is preferable to mdf as it is more rigid and lighter. Unfortunately its also more expensive!

cut the holes out but put your speackers underneath and cover so it looks like they not there if ya no what i mean, just deter thives thats all :D

Marine grade ply is what I use. I rarely use MDF as it just sags, and is not very strong really not suitable for a parcel shelf.

I was just going to post pics of how I made mine, except I dont have them with me :) Ill do this after the weekend :)

Here we go

Start of with a bit of ply cut to the shape of your shelf..

car0005.jpg

Cut some plained 2x1 for a trim round the edge. And fix it to the ply.

car0004.jpg

car0003.jpg

I then routerd the edges so they were smooth and round, and covered it in acoustic cloth (this is usually quite streachy).

End result:

car0002.jpg

car0001.jpg

Agreed birch ply is best... the safety reason for it... God forbid someone hit from behind but if you had passengers an MDF shelf could take their neck off. There is no crumple zone at the back (as in like a huge boot on a Primera). The ply would snaps more easily than the MDF.

You do not need to screw it down. Mines is heavy yes but it holds fine in place and when opening the boot I just give it a helping hand. I would upload a pic bt cant find me wire to connect phone to PC.

You need just under an inch in thickness for best sound.

Nice pics ed

Personally in all respects I find ply is much stronger under all situations than mdf! Cheers for the comments on the images :)

Panjabi said:
Agreed birch ply is best... the safety reason for it... God forbid someone hit from behind but if you had passengers an MDF shelf could take their neck off. There is no crumple zone at the back (as in like a huge boot on a Primera). The ply would snaps more easily than the MDF.

You do not need to screw it down. Mines is heavy yes but it holds fine in place and when opening the boot I just give it a helping hand. I would upload a pic bt cant find me wire to connect phone to PC.

You need just under an inch in thickness for best sound.

Nice pics ed

I'd still screw it down, otherwise you'd have a shelf in the back of your head if you ever crashed...

K10 is held down by the boot (if you do it right), I dont know about the K11

agreed about the ply being stronger but mdf is more dense than ply and so sounds better with 6x9's, you can always brace the bottom of it (or use a thicker sheet) to stop sagging.

this is the reason that proper stealth shelves are made from thick mdf, it increases sq

Back