How do I do this!

I

iffy

Can anyone please tell me what this part is and how to fix it?

SP_A0047.jpg

SP_A0043.jpg

Many thanks in advance.

Its a lower ball joint, its just as easy to replace the whole arm as the joint, if not easier, you can get them on ebay for about £20, then you get a new joint and bushes in one go.

and your brake disc looks pretty scored.

thought it was the ball joint. Is the arm hard to replace for someone a little more advanced than a beginner? Im gonna do the discs sometime during the week. I find the discs and pads very easy to replace.

Yeah i would recommend changing the wishbone like most other cars since bushes are a ##### to remove and worthwhile doing the whole lot.

The balljoint is attached to the hub so this will have to come off, may require balljoint separater or a chisel. once that's off the other two end needs to be undone. Be careful though you done pull the drive shaft out since the hub will be able to move freely once that's off. Then just do the reverse to put the new one on.

Have a lil trolley jack handy to push the pin back up into the hub - makes it a bit easier!

Daz

easy, it shouldnt take more than an hour.

put the car on an axle stand, take the wheel off, split the joint with a splitter, unbolt the arm at the pivot end, and the arm will lift away, replacement is just the opposite, easy peasy.

i'm in the same process of replacing my lower arms cos i wrecked me balljoint seals when using the stupid wedge-type balljoint seperators.

problem is that the bolt holdin the arm to the chassis is a pig to get off after 8years. just wont budge with all my effort without fear of roundin the bolt.
shall i just take n angle grinder to it?

I usually put a lever between the arm and the hub and put it under some pressure whilst belting the pin with a big hammer, it seems to work.

i'm in the same process of replacing my lower arms cos i wrecked me balljoint seals when using the stupid wedge-type balljoint seperators.

problem is that the bolt holdin the arm to the chassis is a pig to get off after 8years. just wont budge with all my effort without fear of roundin the bolt.
shall i just take n angle grinder to it?

for jobs like these at home on a driveway etc id recommend using a plumbers blow torch as these come in handy for heating up the bolt and nuts that can seize on with time, a little heat can help alot and could possibably save you the time of drilling out snapped studs or bolts and angle grinding bolts and nut off

bleedin wish i had seen this this morning before i baught a lower ball joint....

ive got the wheel, hub brakes and stuff off the car, and im belting the hell out of the ball joint to get it out of the arm......

guess ill have to get an arm then....

GRR £14 wasted for a ball joint...

Back