how bad does this look? - Oil sump corrosion

N1554N

Site Supporter
took it to the garage (under warranty) and they just 'tightened' it. but to me it doesnt look to be coming from the gasket/bolts....

IMGP5581.jpg

IMGP5580.jpg

IMGP5582.jpg

since tightening it, the drip has turned into drips....
could the rust be causing this 'seepage'??

I'm no expert but that looks like an ex-sump to me :(. Get thee to a scrappy...

Agreed, it looks like it's taken a whack at some point and the tin worm's got right into it.

Get it replaced man, I know the broke sump pains, my car was off the road for 4 months as it was so bad that I couldn't be bothered topping it up, ended up fixing it with epoxy and a thick layer of hammerite on top lol

hope you get it sorted :D

If the car is under warranty and the warrenty covers it then go back and demand it be fixed properly....

i got one free with every car :D awesome bit of kit, they increase engine performance 100%

couldnt help but lol at that just clean it off and weld it up if not tape a bucket to the bottom of the engine :p. also sorry for this useless comment

Had this when i got my k11. sump has a crack in it probably only slight got to the point of it leaving a small drip every now and then on the floor.
went to the scrapyard looked around for the best i could find and replaced it. £10 for the sump and £5 for some sealant, bit tricky with the downpipe in the way etc. but £15 (Y)
if it is under warranty get them to change it. if they say it isn't leaking get a hammer to it. :)
From this (no visible holes)
SAM_0201.jpg

To This:

Obviously you may want some more oil so say £25-£40 depending on what oil you like.
And yes the rust is causing the leaking.

thanks for all the comments. I think it's unanamous! i'm a little reluctant to get this done under the warranty as i simply dont really trust these people. think they just did the easy fix to fob us off in the hope we'd leave it till out of its warranty. its a 3 month warranty. it is still covered, so i'll get them to fix it, but i'll be going over it with a fine tooth comb when we get it back. i find these forums extremely useful for circumstances like this.
the photos are shyte, i dont have the space to get it up on stilts, so i was literally shooting the shots blind with the bumper scraping my nose...! there is no hole in it, but i reckon i could push a screwdriver through it without too much effort, i managed to pull a 1/2mm thick chunk off just fiddling with it with my fingers :suspect::wow:

i'll get on them slackers tomorrow. let 'em know whats up.

Back