Sump plug washer/oil change???

alfantasti

Club Member (Trial)
Due to do an oil change this week on a 1 litre '98.
Do i need to change the sump plug sealing washer with the change or can i use the old one?
The reason i ask is that we have an Almera too and that has a washer that compresses when the sump plug is tightened and needs to be replaced every oil change.

Thanks for the quick replies. Is it just a plain washer or the type that squashes down when tightened? I suppose if you've never come across the squashy type washer, then you'll probably think i'm going mad :eek:

Its a crush washer, its 50/50 on if you change it or not...nissan oil filters usually come with a washer, so i replace it...however if you havent got one i wouldnt worry to much about it.

Yep, Solarice, it's a crush washer. Nissan must have changed to these as i bought a filter and washer today. Bloke at Nissan said it's a use once only item (but then dealer would say that :glare:)
Forgot to ask him which way round the washer goes. Any idea? One side has a large rounded edge with a small visible nick on the inner bit and the other side has just a sharp thin edge???

please just tell me to shut up if i read the first post wrong but isnt he on about the sump plug that you take off to drain the oil. rather than the filter itself.

dont think it'll make any difference which way round it goes tbh (it gets crushed together after all)...cant remember which way i put mine on either :)

macwillis youre correct, but a dealer filter comes with a replacement sump plug washer...which is why i mentioned it (that is, if you were querying my original post and not someone elses :) )

It's a squashy-washer for the sump plug, bought one first time i changed the oil...still in my ashtray...never used it as the old one is still doing it's job four oil changes later!

dont think it'll make any difference which way round it goes tbh (it gets crushed together after all)...cant remember which way i put mine on either :)

macwillis youre correct, but a dealer filter comes with a replacement sump plug washer...which is why i mentioned it (that is, if you were querying my original post and not someone elses :) )

oh i see, i was thinking for a minuite then. i changed my filter and oil a few weeks ago but used a halfords filter. im not paying the dealers prices for things like that pufft.! think i only paied a few quid ( trade discount)

Back