Hot engine bay, is it normal?

Hi all, just noticed, the rainy weather has drawn my attention to my bonnet. I can see steam coming off my white bonnet, when I'm in traffic, say at the lights. Also when I park up, I can hear it make a tick, as though it got really hot. The Temp gauge shows cold at start and raises to mid way and stays there, I don't think its over heating.

Any thoughts.

Thanks.

Mike:)

Sounds normal to me fella. I wouldnt worry about it, the engine bay does get ver y hot, you need to consider the temperature of gases coming from the engine through the exhaust are very very high temperatures. Some of this heat is trasferred in the air which is then passed around the engine bay.

Thankyou kindly

Does it effect my fuel consumption? Or overall performance? Is it worth putting air vent on bonnet? My Diesel Corsa would get sluggish when it got hot. Thats why I ask. :)

Pretty much every single engine in the orld gets hot under the bonnet, a hot engine generaly is better on fuel. Only start to worry if either the coolant gauge goes to red or paint starts to peel and burn.

You say your corsa diesel got sluggish, maybe true but was probably better on fuel. You can't have both in this world.

corsa desials are sugish when hot because the small turbo overheats. engines always get hot, and always make a ticking noise when the engine is stopped, and the temp gauage always stays in the middle! the only time it goes up is if its overheating...

corsa desials are sugish when hot because they have small turbos that overheats beacuse its near on always working at low revs with it being a little turbo, engines always get hot, and always make a ticking noise when the engine is stopped, and the temp gauage always stays in the middle! the only time it goes up is if its overheating...

Back