Hookin up an alpine HU to the battery

S

snanes

HU: Alpine CDM-9807RB

just bought it the the other day, block connectors are all still there as i'm replacing the standard unit but when i hooked it all up it didn't power up at all.:down:

ive heard that due to the power of the unit you need to connect it direct up to the battery. is this true? if so can anyone give me some pointers on what i'll need to do it, and how its done :upside:

thanks

Is it a k11 you have mate? If this is the case then its not the live you need to feed its a ground, if you take off the panel just underneath your ashtray (screws are at the side in the footwells) you will see your airbag unit, stay away from this, but next to it there is a scaffolding, i wired my ground to there and no problems from the head unit at all now mate.

Daz :alien:

youll find that the big metal block to the left of the head unit can also be used a a ground.... no need to mess around then

he has a punto, i have also heard tha tthe K11 have bad/no earthing for the std hu. odd!

could well be an earth problem tho. hmm interesting.

If you have the higher power (4x60) versions of the Alpines, you need to wire the main power feed directly to your battery, passing the wire through a grommet in the bulkhead :)

yeah i got a punto,:devil:

but you micra lot are well clued up!

So it needs earthin as well as hookin up to the battery, hmm. might sound like a dumbass (but remember i own a punto), but do you only hook it up to the +ve terminal on the battery or otherwise? better be safe than sorry n all that...:upside:

thanks again all!

The higher powered alpine unit should work without being connected direct to the battery!

The only reason u need to do a direct feed to the batt is to take advantage of the 4v pre-out

I think you're wrong there.

Your going to have a larger drain on the system using the internal amp on the HU than you would with the preouts regardless of what voltage output (vrms) they are.

Connecting the HU directly to the battery is recommended for most higher powered HU's around these days, regardless of manufacturer.

hey,

a few conflicting views there!

in my original post i said that when i hooked the unit up it was actually totally dead, there was no illumination of the display etc... could this mean that the unit is in fact just broken, as it was an ex-diaplay unit!!! or if a unit does require power from the battery would it not power up anyway if it was only connected in the regular manner?

much appreciate the input, thanks

happened to my mates civic... fine in mine but no power up on his off standard iso block....

firstly check fuse on back of unit not blown...

no insult but download alpine wiring diagram from net...

just open bonnet and hook up +ve wire to +ve batt terminal and keep hold of 'source/power button for 3 secs'... should power up...

if not... in addition to above connect earth wire to earth point... try source etc...

if nowt happens... im stuck for ideas... maybe go back to where you bought it and ask them to demo....

or drive round listenin to your walkman and massive headphones... cool:laugh:[/i]

bring it rnd mine snanes, we can wire up up top the battery and earth it better, failing that send it back and sack it off.

if we get it in and it works then i'll stick all your other ice in too.

Get yourself a multimeter and check the ISO block is giving you power.

You said "So it needs earthin as well as hookin up to the battery"

Every electrical device needs earthing as well as power in a car!

"The only reason u need to do a direct feed to the batt is to take advantage of the 4v pre-out"

Incorrect - the battery feed is required because of the high power internal amp which kicks out around 25wrms per channel. Also, 4v preouts are hardly ever reached anyway, unless a 0dB sine wave at 1khz is played.... :)

Hugh said:
I think you're wrong there.

Your going to have a larger drain on the system using the internal amp on the HU than you would with the preouts regardless of what voltage output (vrms) they are.

Connecting the HU directly to the battery is recommended for most higher powered HU's around these days, regardless of manufacturer.

Ive fitted hundreds of these as its what i did for a living for 4 yrs!
the system doesnt drain to much power when not connected direct to the battery it just means the pre out can only operate at 2v or somthing like that and the 4x60W is lower aswell hence why it is optional to hook up the direct live to boost power and give u theses functions

Also This was the information from the Alpine Rep when they started all this crap of higher power!

Many thanks all!:laugh:

should get it all sorted by the end of next weekend, so i'll tell ya how i (with some davey C assistance) get on! hopefully should even be able to tell you who was right :p

cheers again,

james

the headunit will still work without a direct feed to the battery as long as u earth it properly m8!

Attachments

• exhaust.jpg
    exhaust.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 227
  • exhaust2.jpg
    exhaust2.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 240
i believe the ISO block in the k11's is fused via the main fuse block at 15a i believe, which is more than enough.

Slim said:
i believe the ISO block in the k11's is fused via the main fuse block at 15a i believe, which is more than enough.

its a punto tho, dont suppose anyone klnows what they are?

Back