Stereo drain on battery

T

TJ_1984

Hi all, I am running a 98 R reg Micra and have just changed the stereo unit to a Sony Xploder. However! The original wiring for the player is set to continuous power which seems to flattened my battery in 3 days. I have recharged the battery and will try tonight to make sure it isn't a dead battery but I have also changed the wiring so that it is set to Switched power.

Does anyone know if continuous power set up would have done this to my battery?

Cheers all!

Possibly. After i installed my head unit, the battery couldnt cope and needed changing!

Head units obviously need continuous (sp) power to retain radio, configuration and clock settings etc! but you should be able to leave them for weeks without it draining the battery too much

That's what I thought. What would happen to the stereo if I left it with the switched power configuration? I mean with continuous you can hear the system start up even though it isn't usable with out the ignition in ACC. However on switched it kicks in when ACC is turned to.

Looks like I might be off to Halfords tonight to get a new battery!

And the verdict was....

Your battery needs replacing. It turns out that things come in pairs or threes and the battery collapsed!

Back