Honda withdrawing from F1

for sale for £1, apparently :glance: , they,ll have to drag in teams from the lower formulae to make the numbers up next year

Unsurprising really when you think that the only team who have gotten less value for money is Toyota. I do hope, though, that this doesn't lead to a 4-5 team championship. Perhaps customer chassis' are the way forward like in Indy?

Unsurprising really when you think that the only team who have gotten less value for money is Toyota. I do hope, though, that this doesn't lead to a 4-5 team championship. Perhaps customer chassis' are the way forward like in Indy?

its been done before, but with 2010 rules being "no customer engines" the cars have to be from the manufacturers coming in, its going to be a very small grid if it apears at all..

i mean lola and lotus, brabham, judd, have all had chassis and engines in F1 in the past, when costs were being cut in the late eaighties early nineties williams had a car that had more technology than even todays cars, but they had to downsize. more and more teams buying in Cosworth engines, Orange arrows buying in engines, minardi, jordan, benaton..... all of these teams have disapeared.
and if toyota, the worlds largest vehicle manufacturer, cant afford to do F1, nobody can. they have more money than any other team.

but what his royal gayness bernie "i am god" ecclestone has done with next year will see the death of formula 1 for good, i mean electric motors??? push to pass??? its not formula palmer audi for gods sake.

they should go back to basics, keep the safety standards, keep the tyres, keep the aero but restric the cars to 1300cc, maximum of 8 cylinders and allow a turbocharger but no more than 700bhp and 15,000rpm.

throw the rule book away and start again, ive read the rules and there are rules ontop of rules and loopholes between loopholes.... its mind numbing and beaurocratic.....

thats why i usualy stick to MOTO GP, much less serious, the whole bike costs £2m and less than £1m for the year to race, the riders have a sence of humour and there arent these corporate fatcat "INSANE" people like ecklestone in that sport.... that and it has Valentino Rossi..:laugh:

they used to run 1500bhp from a 1.5 in the late eighties. so no reason why not.

thanks kristian, i do rant a bit though.

yep, whilst the lower teams were running 3500cc DFV cosworth v8's, renault, mclaren honda, ferrari etc were all running inline 4 1500cc turbo engines or in the renaults case, a small 1500cc V6 turbo with 1500bhp in qualifying trim or just under 1000bhp in race trim, add to this very ligh weight, huge spoilers, massive slick tyres (twice as wide as todays) no traction control, titanium skid plates (as apposed to wooden ones on modern cars) ground effect skirts and very little safety, the rules outlawed turbo cars much like the group B era in rallying, they were just too fast to race.

the ground effect has been continued in lemans racing up till 1997, in 1998 alex wurtz famously flipped a mercedes CLK-GTR on the mulsanne straight and landed in the trees at over 200mph, they are thinking of bringing ground effect back to imsca and lm GT and prototype cars for 2012.

sorry motorsport is my thing..lol

I remember watching those races in the 80's. They were awsome! The BMW ones used 'used' road engines which were considered 'seasoned' :) 1500 bhp was only for a very short period of time..

Imagine 1cc of fuel of '80's' f1 fuel spread out on your desk. Thats 1 hp there. I don't think I can get my head around that.

This is shocking stuff ,I'm not to into F1 as a motorsport but its a real shame all the same.

The bods at Honda have done the right thing they've got out before the poo really hits the fan.

I'm not a Fan of F1. Personally I can't see the point. yes it may be ok on some things like new ideas with safety in mind but boy what a waste of YOUR money...:laugh:

Honda made a wise move, stop spending £200 million a year on revved up go-karts, or lay off hundreds of workers and lose their commercial assets...

Honda made a wise move, stop spending £200 million a year on revved up go-karts, or lay off hundreds of workers and lose their commercial assets...

im with the man on this one, i think its in their best interest...

i doubt it,s the cost factor, more likely the embarrasing 1 win in 3yrs o_O.
and bear in mind, but for f1 we would probably be still be making cars with pushrod engines equipped with carburettors

that and the medical advances, tyre technology, engine technology (like titanium pistons and sodium filled valves, sequential electronic fuel injection, electronic differentials, traction control) crumple zones, suspension technology, etc etc

they have done it before though. and they will probebly do it again. but with the sponsorship that mclaren and ferrari have plus bmw, renault etc (3 of those are major banks or investment companies) raking in millions in revenue. the car sales are beggar all to do with the finances of the teams... i mean minardi. could you buy a minardi? benaton, could you buy a benaton? could you buy a jordan? or a prost, arrows, super aguri, williams, brabham, sauber, petronas, mentverdi, eurobrun, forti, AGS, simtec, pacific, osella etc etc etc... its all about corporate sponsorship. nothing about cars.

i doubt it,s the cost factor, more likely the embarrasing 1 win in 3yrs o_O.
and bear in mind, but for f1 we would probably be still be making cars with pushrod engines equipped with carburettors

antony said:
that and the medical advances, tyre technology, engine technology (like titanium pistons and sodium filled valves, sequential electronic fuel injection, electronic differentials, traction control) crumple zones, suspension technology, etc etc

So that wouldn't have been done if the F1 didn't exist?

I'm sure that most Car makers spend a lovely sum of money on designing and testing a vehicle. Maybe the things you spoke of would've been on the road sooner rather than 5 or even 10 years later if they hadn't spent so much time and effort going round in circles.

Sodium filled Valves - er, nope you lost me on that one
Titanium pistons - Nice touch but not really necessary in an everyday vehicle.

I think these advances in technology or whatever would've turned up without the F1 imo.

So that wouldn't have been done if the F1 didn't exist?

I'm sure that most Car makers spend a lovely sum of money on designing and testing a vehicle. Maybe the things you spoke of would've been on the road sooner rather than 5 or even 10 years later if they hadn't spent so much time and effort going round in circles.

Sodium filled Valves - er, nope you lost me on that one
Titanium pistons - Nice touch but not really necessary in an everyday vehicle.

I think these advances in technology or whatever would've turned up without the F1 imo.

as in the early red top SR20DE engine from the primera EGT....fwn to reduce weight and prevent expansion at high temperatures.

its also the advances in manufacturing techniques, such as dry carbon weaving, aluminium casting, the advances in throttle bodies, seamless shift gearchanges, electronics (such as the early fw14 williams renault that could be setup including engine performance and suspension settings from the pits as its racing around the track) satelite tracking and naivigation (as in data logging and telemetry)
F1 is the pinacle of motorsport and as such should be the very top of the spending tree.

Didn't all those stupid flappy paddle gear boxes originate in F1?

...IIRC that was first seen in a f1 Ferrari in 1989, so 20 years later and where are we in relation to the 'flappy Paddle'...Rally Cars and Motor racing and a few johnny come lately car makers and that's about it. why do we still have a gearstick?

so if its 1hp to 1cc then a 1.0 micra could have a 1000hp and a 1.3 could have 1300hp

thats some crazy micras there

Hey I have never driven a car with a flappy paddle gearbox, but I have ridden a motorbike with one. Had an engine from a 1944 lancaster bomber.

Most I have managed thus far on an engine is 0.30 bhp/cc!! And my St was 0.21bhp/cc. Stock K10 1.0 is 0.05bhp/cc hahaha.

so if its 1hp to 1cc then a 1.0 micra could have a 1000hp and a 1.3 could have 1300hp

thats some crazy micras there

yes but you will strugle with a 4 cylinder. the more cylinders you have, the more surface area you can have acting on the crank at any one time... thus why a 4l v12 will produce more power and usualy more torque than a 4l v6.

if you want to get realy silly with bhp per cc. one of my RC cars produces 1.1bhp per cc (3.3bhp from 3cc) @ 42,000rpm.:laugh::laugh:

and top fuel dragsters. 7000bhp from 7000cc. so about the same level, but running on nitromethane should be more like 1500bhp per l.

and if we realy want to get silly, a Ceramic 4cylinder 1000cc engine with spherical valves in the mid 80's ran at 20,000rpm+ at over 1000deg-c and produced 0% emisions and 1300bhp. no oil, no water, no valvetrain and at that temperature you could see through the block!

Like you said Antony, F1 is the pinnacle of motor-sport. I can't help but be massively impressed with 1hp/cc reliable enough to race, and smooth enough to drive. I'm sure the fuel has a part to play, but still Awesome!

Back