Home made fibreglass bodyparts?

Robert

Ex. Club Member
I've been thinking lately, is there anything stopping me from taking my wings, fibreglassing over them, pop off the fibreglass, add a few more layers, filler, finish and paint?

Most likely only using a few mounts, ie. the two in the sill, under bonnet, then make one up for the front corner somewhere..

Would the filler etc make them just as heavy as the standard items?

Similarly with the bonnet, use the standard bracing, just with a fibreglass skin instead? With bonnet pins rather than the latch..

Opinions/ideas?
I'm expecting to be told it's a stupid idea, but meh.

You will need to coat the original parts with a release agent (Caranauba wax/tinfoil etc) to make a mould then do the same with the mould to make the part.

Either that or make a part 1 layer thicker than the original and then backfill it, but you will have great problems with
getting the shape right.

The best places to aske these questions would be fibre (fiber for americans) glass forums where there are guides etc.

:) Craig

yeah i was thinking of the backfilling method to be honest..

If i was to try the mould way, how would i go about getting the surface smooth on the mould then smooth on the copy taken from the mould?

I've not really started research or anything to be honest, just a random idea i thought I'd get some opinions on for now!

www.fiberglassforums.com/

More info there than I can give you in a post. It's do-able, but not as cheap as you might initially think. Just make sure that you buy your resin etc. in bulk and not from halfords.

Craig

Thanks for that Craig I'll have a look when i get some more spare time!

I learnt to bulk buy after i didn't when i made my sub boxes :doh:

If anyone's interested in doing any fibreglass body parts themselves, i highly recommend this thread:

http://www.fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=6319

You'll have to register to see it, but it's free and worth it. He makes a front lip and skirts for an MR2, Page 17 the mould making starts :)

Making moulds definatly seems to be the best way, I guess that way i can always make more up! Depends on mounts etc, like I say i haven't given it much thought, but i reckon a one piece mould should be do-able..

There is also quite a good aussie thread where he makes a bonnet for his rally car if you can find it?

Craig

hi bud. i used to work as a mould maker at a stonemasons where we made fibreglass moulds. they would either cast off stone or make the sculpture from wood and filler etc then mould off that.

we had to lay bout 5mm of clay over the object then gelcoat and fibreglass and then when it was dry you would strip the mould, and the clay. clean up the mould and the object then pour rubber where the clay used to be. then you have a perfect mould.

sorry if you already knew this. was a fun job though and i have access to materials as its down the road. so if anyone maybe want a mock up doin i could look into it,

I have thought about knockin out loads of wide arches and nismo style splitters but time is an issue at the mo, but i finish uni soon..............

lol having my nismo splitters collecting dust, it's tempting to try making copies!

But I'm planning a track K11 which is where the fibreglass wings idea came from.. I'm really tempted to try doing something, maybe fibreglass grills or something small to practice with

its perfectly doable. as said you will need a release agent especailly as fibreglass doesnt seem to like drying over paint. (not sure why because ive never done it, my dads told me on numerous occasions though)
i would just build up a thick layer of bees wax but theres a release agent thats water based plastic i think its called which is very good stuff.

make a two peice flip front. now that would be one amazing micra.. im all for it.

Back