High powered micras - Jap vs Aus

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
I was looking through hyperrev and saw these turbo micras and did a little conversion on the figures so we (Australia) get a little better understanding on some of the higher powered micra’s we’ve heard of in Japan

TD04's are commonly used on mitsubishi and subaru cars..

a break down on their description:

TD04-09B 5cm^2

09B compressor wheel. 9 is the size of the wheel. There is no direct correlation between MHI designation and actual physical size of the compressor wheel. B is the style of wheel (uneven height of blades). C, B, T style wheel's blades have the same height. Blades are equally spaced, but the number and pitch of the blades vary between models.

5cm^2 is referring to exhaust discharge area in the turbine housing. More specifically, it is the smallest cross-sectional area of the scroll, turbine housing. Very similar to Garrett turbo's A/R. The smaller number means faster spool-up but more back pressure at higher rpm. Bigger number means longer spool up but less back pressure, thus more top end power.

Interesting to see is the red Kappatsu turbo car has a larger compressor wheel but still retains the smaller exhaust housing for quicker spool.

HKS
Turbo: TD04-09B 5cm^2
Boost: 7psi
Power: 103kw (140ps)

Kappatsu
Turbo: TD04-09B 5cm^2
Boost: 14psi
Power: 147kw (200ps)

Kappatsu (crazy red one)
Turbo: TD04-11B 5cm^2
Boost: 14psi
Power: 169kw (230ps)

Then theres a N/A quad throttle Micra..
Quad throttles, Cams, pistons, who knows what else..
Power: 118kw (160ps) @ 8000rpm.

Interested to know what their power readings are. I’m actually thinking they might be at the engine, because a CG13 on 7psi making 103kw at the wheels sounds a little eager.
If you calculate a conservative 20% drive train loss on the above figures them seem a little more realistic for the amount of boost they are running (and closer to our figures at the wheels)
103kw = 83kw (7psi) – Compare to Family Hack – 7psi and 87kw
147kw = 117kw (14psi)
169kw = 135kw (14psi) – Compare to Cisco – 19psi 143kw
118kw = 95kw (N/A)

Anyway theres some food for though.

cisco

» CMF Member
Good thread.

A couple of things:
- When I was over there, everything was always about flywheel figures. I don't know, they are really big on factory bolt-on simple everything and they like to compare it to a factory micra. Like "55kw march power up kit to 103kw!" etc etc.

- Also, I checked out a few of the turbo cars. They are all VERY MUCHly bolt on and all designed to fit around air con, power steer etc. They make everything so you can re-sell it and bolt it onto ANY other March. Pretty good approach. But what I noticed was that our big raw aussie custom turbo conversions had more crazier beefed up larger diameter pipework, especially for exhaust. None of them had massive monster 3" turbo exhaust dump pipes etc. They don't seem to have the roads for the massive long throw spool-up type of power like my new turbo. They usually make them all much more responsive and early boosting etc.

- Yeah I saw that NA car that Fujita san said makes 160ps. Its definately flywheel figure. Its an awesome car. The B-Crews race car one weighs only 650kg. He said that gives it about the same power to weight as a GT-R. And it revs to 8000-9000rpm to make that power.

- I reckon 15% loss is probably more like it on the micra. But perhaps 20% covers for things like heavier AD22VF brakes that I'm sure must change things a fraction - because you can feel that difference on the road. I should do a dyno with and without the brakes installed one time.

- I'll be soon to upload a printout showing 150+ kw at the wheels. Bloody 2" exhaust tip and only revved to 6500rpm on a near 30deg day. As if a 2" tip isn't going to suffocate a big long throw at 20.7psi peak boost. :)
I know excuses excuses - but you have to :)

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
Yep I noticed that..typically all highmount turbos to go with aircon.

I guess we could pretty much say that they ARE flywheel figures quoted in HyperRev then.

I highly doubt that the CG13 will make 103kw @ 7psi.

Hehe thats why I said Conservative 20% :) hrmm

I wonder what our flywheel figures are if we went that way:
(remembering you want 20% of the flywheel figure...so you have to take 20% off a higher number to equal the wheel figure)

Cisco: 180kw (19psi)
Aaron: 115kw (8psi)
Family Hack: 109kw (7psi)

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
well thats disregarding what the more wild taiwan guys have done, excluding motor swaps of course...

Attachments

• 14444.jpg
    14444.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 27

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
Nope only original 1.3 powered micras count in this power contest. Micra aint a micra when its got a 2L shoved into the front :) Kinda like the guy who stuck a V8 into a mini...it aint a mini no more :)

Attachments

• 14445.jpg
    14445.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 44
Back