EOI: Jap CG13DE (Brisbane)

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Hi

I bought this engine because I suspected my own had some niggling issues which could become serious but since going for a 6000km drive to Mt Gambier along coast roads with the old girl packed right up to the legal limit with gear and 2 other guys the engine runs smoother and quieter than ever before. There's nothing wrong with my engine lol.

So I have a Jap CG13DE here which I bought as a spare. Its taking up room and generally getting in the way.

I bought it for $800 from a Brisbane import mob only a month or so ago. Since I bought it I stripped all most of the accessories off it and basically prepped it to go into my car. All that needs to be done is for the sump to be removed and swapped with your own (as with most impot engines the sump has a few dings from transport - besides you'd be nuts to start it up with any potential crap inside it), new thermostat, waterpump, sparkplugs etc, a new rear cooling pipe O-ring which I have the part number for (and its only a cheap part anyway which needed to be replaced), new rear main seal and front crank (behind main pulley) seal which should be replaced closer to when the engine is to be used as these seals dont like sitting around doing nothing.

Timing chains are in good condition and the sprockets arent worn which indicates that the chains arent stretched. The tensioners build tension when you rotate the crank and it moves smooth with no odd noises and compression feels quite good. Engine was prepped for storage when I bought it with a premium oil poured over cams and a little bit into each spark plug well to keep the bores moist and the crank was only rotated once there was some lubricant on the cams and in the bores.

The engine itself is in very good condition with no external damage and has that funky black plastic rocker cover. All the idler pulleys are in good nick and the bearings on them seem fine too.

Cams have very little visible wear and there's very little varnishing inside the motor from what I can see - it looks quite healthy and quite low KM.

I'm asking $700 for the motor. You will get a spare aircon compressor and power steering pump with it. Along with everything else that was removed from it to make it lighter and easier to move (it is on a pallet). It does not have an injector rail, the UK injector rail fits perfectly though. NO distributor (the one it came with was damaged anyway) It also has an airflow meter on it.

Please note this is an EOI and I will not be taking lower offers (yet). If you can source another jap engine thats clearly in good mechanical condition and never been opened before and in brisbane - buy it. Don't tell me about it because I don't care. I won't be sending it interstate unless you want to sort out transport.

Sorry for the long winded post but I've tried to cover everything I know and have done with this motor. I'm not hiding anything and I wouldn't want to rip anyone here off. I'm very confident of this motor's condition - so much so I was seriously going to be using it in my car and anyone who knows me will know that I'm pretty damn picky!

Cheers :)

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Apparently there's a few internal block differences between automatic and manual but I havent seen any supporting evidence to the claims.

The japanese metal apparently has a higher carbon count than the european metal too which means they're potentially stronger and the bores will last longer. But again there's no supporting evidence to that claim.

Just comparing the 2 engines, this jap engine APPEARS to be built better than the uk engine. All the gasket goo on (bloody nissan and their extensive use of gasket goo instead of proper gaskets bah) the jap engine is much neater. On my UK engine all the gasket goo is messy. Neither engine has been opened before either its all the original nissan grey gasket goo. The Jap engine has fresh gasket goo on various areas from where I pulled things off for inspections and its all done properly as I was planning on having this motor in my car and I don't like oil leaks!

This engine is from an Auto btw.

I'll take some pics in daylight tomorrow if i can remember to.

Also as for the age of this engine I managed to find that this engine was fitted to a japanese built K11 march between the build numbers of:

9512 to 9705

Apparently this is somewhere between 1998 and 2000. So it is likely this engine has the updated timing chains and tensioners which won't give the problems the original stuff in our UK built micras suffer.

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Jap is hollow deck whereas the Euro/Aussie is a solid deck design.

In theory the Aus is stronger, but will retain more heat. Cisco built his old Bluey with the Jap hollow deck block and its still running though

Sean

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Just realised I didnt pay as much as I thought haha. Plus I'm keeping the alternator and I'm also using the injectors it had.

So I've adjusted the price accordingly.

Back