high pitch wine..

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
Hi guys,

ive noticed a high pitch wine when getting near the rev limit in first and second gear, you hear it best when say your in second for a while say going round a small circuit, not big enough to get out of second, so your going low in the revs then getting quite high in the revs etc,

I know its coming from the transmission just wondered if its normal or not? My last micra did it and this one does too

if its on long high G bends on track maybe its oil pump starvation? i get this whiney pump noise when i turn on the cambered long 180deg turn at oulton park which sounds similar to a whiney PAS pump when ur bleeding the PAS fluid and i think it was a briefly starved oil pump. i'm currently making an oil baffle/trapdoor to prevent it for the new engine

ive been reading your blog and seen your progress with that and its looking really good, urm well my car is compleatly road going, i just went on a track on saturday for an event, it was only round a slarlam and down a straight, i do notice it does it on a straight though even on the road, i just thought it was the gears spinning fast and making a noise, im not worried about it, just wondered if anyone else had noticed it or knew exactly what it was :)

mine whines slightly at high rev on road too, think its the gearbox. first time i heard it i thought i had a supercharger lol

thats my exact same reaction haha, its like awesome i have a supercharger that no one has told me about, i can hear it but when is this thing gonna kick in... but ive had people say to me about it when you go flying past someone at high revs.. i just think its the gears spinning fast that makes the noise, and it happens most if you say stay in second for a while going up and down in speed. i know this may sound dumb but if say you are racing around like the slarlam i did and your staying in second the whole time going up and down in speed, will that damage the car in anyway at all?

short duration turns should be ok.
its on during long hard turns where you have to keep n eye if the oil light flashes on from oil level being too low or the pickups starving and making whiney noises, which is bad.

well ive never seen that light so i must be alright :p if im doing high speed cornering its normally left to right, never really long sustained turned..

it doesnt do it all the time just some times when im really going for it, but my last micra did exactly the same thing so i think its just something they do thats all :)

i get a high wine in high gears too but mine sounds like a spool up like in a turbo... but i have no turbo haha

but when i change gear finally it sort of spools down it doesnt just stop but i only realised that it started when i put in my mini cam air filter

maybe if you have one maybe its that?

hahaa ive now baught to everyone attention a little noise :p i just think its where the gears are spooling up when you go for it, ive obnly ever heard it in first and second, second more though :p

If thats the case then i think i can safely say i have the first supercharged micra.. I wondered why it chucks you back in your seat High in the RPM range.. a supercharger would be amazing in one of these :p serious power, with no lag...

dammit :( i was saving up to supercharge mine as well, oh well maybe i can be the second micra to be supercharged :)

and well if im wrong someone please correct me but the mini cam air filter is for when the engine is getting upto high revs it needs more air soo instead of sucking air from the airbox into the trottle body and where ever else into the engine it just sucks the air straight out of the air box meaning its bi-passing the air....but that air what it sucks is not filtered because the hole is under the filter panel so with this mini cam filter it gives it that little boost because its sucking in its own air instead of taking air from the air filter box and also sucking in clean filtered air :) so tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny bit more power, the one i have is reusable so i can just wash it and mine i felt the power very slightly in the high revs thats all :)

I get the whine just generally opening up, not around corners etc just at high revs, after a while of playing with the micra it just keeps whining :p

i'd be pretty convinced the whining is the gearbox, and a slightly low oil level. one the gears start to poke out of the oil, they heat up very quickly. one of the effects of tthis could be noise (in the same way you get light from a fire, even though you only want the heat)

Back