High temperature idle

Hi everybody,

I have not used my Micra K11 (1.4 petrol, 2001) very frequently in the last few months, let's say once a week. Yesterday coming back from Stansted Airport to London at some point I was stuck in traffic and I noticed my temperature gauge rising up to the red zone limit or just passing it. When we got out from the traffic jam the temperature went down slightly above the middle point, but always rising when I was stopping at a traffic light etc...

This afternoon I checked the coolant level and it looked full (about 3 cm below the cap level). Then I turned on the car and left it on idle, parked without revving. The fan kicked as usual and the temperature stayed in the middle for quite some time, let's say 10-15 min. Then it started to go up slowly towards the red, and eventually I stopped it just a few mm below the red zone. I opened the bonnet and the radiator hoses and cap felt cold, but when I opened the radiator cap some vapour hissed out so everything was actually hot.

Any suggestions on what it might be and how to fix it?

Thank you all in advance!

frank

Club Member
Hi frank, thank you for your reply. What exactly a stuck thermostat would cause? And how could I fix it?
if the stat is stuck in the closed position, then the coolant cant circulate properly, so even if the fan is kicking in it will still overheat
pollyp posted some testing info on his blog somewhere :)

OP
OP
E
Hi frank,

thank you, I have found the testing in the forum. Do you have any suggestions on how to fix it?

I have found an official piece online (Part Manufacturer Number: 21200-99B13) which should fit but I don't have any idea on how to do it :)

Don't remove the housing without having some silicone sealant to refit it, and remove all traces of the old sealant out of the small groove in the housing. I suggest leaving it overnight afterwards to go off fully. That's what I did on mine and have had no leaks since.

OP
OP
E
Agent_Sm1th,

thank you for your reply. I have this grease: Comma Multi Purpose Lithium Grease. Do you think it would be ok? In any case I had not realised that the expansion tank needs refilling so I will try topping that up first and see how it goes, and if it runs ok then I will leave it as it is?