high flow cats?

CMF_jay22

» CMF Member
i was planning to get an exhaust. i am very interested in the janspeed extractors and the back section piece. but they only have the (de-cat) witch would not be legal. is there a high flow cat i can get if so where is best.
also does anyone have this system on there micra? would love to hear some feedback about it.

cheers

CMF_kneival

» CMF Member
You could leave the secondary cat in as removing it will not increase power much or remove the material inside so it still looks like a cat. The entrance and exit on the stock are very big, its the rest of the exhaust that restricts.

I have a feeling a high flow cat for a pulsar,skyline or 200sx might fit?

CMF_bethpegs

» CMF Member
personally i don't know a lot. BUT i did check with my mechanic whether getting a high flow cat would be worthwhile a long with a new cat back exhaust. He said the cat really wouldn't do much at all, and that some people are quite willing to pay big bucks for them when in some cases they do the exact opposite of what the buyer was hoping.

my 2 cents :p

CMF_Nudger

» CMF Member
I believe the cat off the VN Holden is fairly high flowing and is at either 2 1/2" or 2 1/4", making it fairly ideal for a high flowing NA or turbo application. From previous threads, my understanding is that the turbo boys/girls are happy with them. Plus why not use the extractors etc, and run a single mid-mounted cat to replace the second one? I believe you only need one in most states for it to be legal...

CMF_JKL

» CMF Member
Commodore cat is very usefull and cheap. Get your wrecker to cut the exhaust flange plates out of the system as well. Weld the flange plates into you system. Then you can simply unbolt the cat if you ever need to.

smidge

» CMF Member
i was thinking a late model, (newer than '02) commodore cat would be a good size and age to still work well...

its on my list of things to get

VN cats etc would be getting a little long in the tooth and probably not be helping the old environment much

CMF_JKL

» CMF Member
You would be suprised... On inspection its fairly easy to see if there has been any damage/burning to the element from oil's wrong fuels/mixtures etc, and with the temperatures reached the cores pretty much kept clean..

smidge

» CMF Member
so the 'cat wearing out' is an old wives tale designed to sell newer ones?

wouldn't suprise me!

i thought the metals in there (platinum?) burnt away slowly over time

CMF_JKL

» CMF Member
There's a huge market for replacement cats at exhaust shops. The Catalytic Converters element wears/burns and then breaks down over time, from crap and additives in the fuel. On inspection, these worn and burnt cats are easily identified.
But.... Its still fairly easy to get a good clean cat from a Commodore with 100,000-180,000km on it.. If your looking smidge, you know who to ask. Thats where Im going for mine.

smidge

» CMF Member
that i do! will look into it after the long weekend i reckon

currently exploring intercooling options, will see how that all goes first

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
My experience proven on the dyno was that a standard Micra cat (modified with bigger 2" flanges)+ exhaust made no sigificant difference to the power curve compared to no cat or exhaust.

CMF_Gary Fintelman

» CMF Member
ill third that, catalytic converters generally have very little back pressure, and there is not much of a gain to be had from removing it *unless* they have decayed or been clogged up, or are more then 10 years old (ie a 95-97 Micra) so you dont need a super dooper high flow shiny cat, just something new, that fits, and is of sufficient diameter.

:)

Back