High Performance radiator options for k11

cisco

» CMF Member
I'm about to make my purchase of the radiator for Blue Monster, but have been looking at a few more options.

I wanted to record this thread so that anyone else going down the same path can use this as a guide:

So far what I can see on the market:
- Datrats custom alloy radiator. Its a beautiful twin core totally custom all alloy unit. Sells for $650 which is expensive, but its a top quality product.
- There is some company who make an off-the-shelf 32mm thick twin core copper unit. Its for sale all over Japan as a "race/track" radiator, and my local radiator shop here is able to get them for $350 total. That's pretty good value. It has enough grunt to handle a turbo conversion with ease, but would probably be a bit heavier than say the datrats all alloy unit.
- My girlfriend's white super s has some very awesome factory looking 28mm twin core K&J aussie made radiator in it. I think it might have been fitted by the place who fitted the air conditioning or something, no idea. But I've rang K&J who didn't seem to exist any longer, and are now PWR (also make excellent intercooler cores). The model number I gave them off the radiator, they said isn't something they've ever made off the shelf, and it must have been custom ordered years back by either some nissan dealers or a particular radiator retail chain etc. They offered to make one up the same, but for $600. When you consider that price, the Datrats one looks like reasonable value because the datrats one has solid billet pieces for the side frame, not just typical mass produced kind of thin frame stuff etc. But its still expensive whichever way you look at it.

Now I'm thinking I might pull out the white car's radiator and use it in blue monster. Then get something normal to put back in the white car.

Can people please tell me how thick the radiators are in the micras? I.e. if you have air con, do you have a 28mm radiator like our white micra? Mighty, what does yours have? Was yours the same as the white super s, or just a normal 16mm thick one?

I would have thought that a normal micra 16mm core one would have been sufficient for a non-modified engine just with air con added. Maybe not??

I would love to hear from you all if those of you with air con have thicker radiators.. Thanks a lot..

At this stage, I'm leaning towards a fresh new copper twin core one simply because of the huge price saving. If you have a minor front ender, and need a new radiator, you don't want to be forking out for a $700 radiator every time.

I asked Errol from Datrats to see if he can come up with any other options for me.

cisco

» CMF Member
The radiator in the white super s has a model number KJ342A on it. I'm emailing a few aussie radiator places (starting with a place called AIR who claim to have bought K&J Radiators. I thought PWR did). Will advise if I can find anything good!

Perhaps in Japan they have similar thicker twin core radiators for the 4AT/A.C. equipped micras.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
95 superS AirCon > radiator is around 18-20mm.
if i get a chance/remember i'll check dad's, as his is a 97 SLX CVT/AirCon/PowerSteer/ElectricWindows, pretty sure its the same as mine,

Alex

Ps. i'm all done for uni as of monday so ill get onto your request next week.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
I will check Family Hack as it has AC etc.
Its stock standard and have never ever seen the temp gauge move above half way even in middle of summer and pulling max boost with AC on etc.
Cool as a cucumber.

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Hey mate,

I remember talking about this with you ages ago, before Bluey was rebuilt.

The radiator on mine was the standard 16mm unit that was exactly the same as the stocko one on Bluey. I'll go check the part number tomorrow sometime though and let you know

Sean

cisco

» CMF Member
Thanks guys.

Thanks Sean, that makes me think I could happily scab the white car's radiator for bluey, and just get another 16mm one to put back on the white car.

cisco

» CMF Member
Hmm. Blue monster looks to be definately getting the K&J, but now thinking of slamming in a copper twin core one back into the white car.

Very lucky and freaky that the white car got a 28mm twin core K&J radiator.

CMF_Ghetto Micra

» CMF Member
did you get an exact size on an a/c equipped micra's radiator? I'm curious..

cisco remember the oil catch can you sold me? it only 'just' fits in , like, scrapes in, possibly due to the radiator being thicker meaning lesser clearance (i have a/c).. so i never left the can in the car... hrmmm interesting :)

James

cisco

» CMF Member
Ordered the dual core copper unit for the white car today. $340 total delivered. Not bad.

It will be here tomorrow, so tomorrow evening will install and change the coolant. Yay bluey will have its nice K&J tomorrow. Just got to make the new manifold and modify the dump pipe now.. Getting close..!

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Where did you order that from Cisco? I'm thinking of upgrading mine and adding another fan on the front of the radiator for the upcoming summer months...

Just as a precaution

Sean

cisco

» CMF Member
Sounds like a wise investment Sean - NOT! You must seriously be thinking of keeping the car (again) if you're going to spend $340 on it haha.

You can order them in through GIBBS Radiators at Belconnen. Total cost: $340. It arrived overnight, I have it at home here now. Going to install into the white super s tonight.

That means bluey gets his radiator today! yeah!

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Not seriously cisco...

I've been offered around $9000 which is way too low. I'm in no rush to sell it though so I'm happy to wait to get my price and adjust it accordingly to stuff I put on/take off the car.

Sean

cisco

» CMF Member
Doh!

Just keep it long enough until you change your mind again.

That's all we ask for.

cisco

» CMF Member
Do they make anything for the micra? No I didn't know about them.

All done!

twin core copper radiator now installed into white super s complete with a flush out and brand new lush green coolant. That was a service item that I needed to do on the white car anyway, so all good.

Lovely K&J 28mm single core unit (yes once I got it out, I can see its one big massive single core) sitting happily in blue monster. Blue monster really starting to get close yep.
Can sit the turbo in position now, yeah basically just needing a manifold and some pipe work made up. Before the end of the month I think.

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
This is the new 40mm PWR ali radiator recently arrived and shots of it in car - perfect fit. Not cheap (around $800) but top notch race-bred quality. They now have pattern if any others order - price might come down after first custom job?

Back