problems with stock exhaust

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
well... i was driving along the other night after i had noticed a sound coming from the cat. it was like an air leaking sound from the exhaust. i had a look at the cat and exhaust at the headers but couldnt seem to find anything wrong so i thought it might have been inside the cat. however last night while driving my exhaust fell off. it seems to have snapped at the weld from the cat and so i havt no exhaust from cat back.

appart from it sounding ****in sick (like a world rally car) im going to have to get it fixed... this is the second time that exact thing has happened and the first time was fixed by nissan (probably just dogy weld job for quick fix)

im wondering if anyone else has had the same problem??

also can anyone tell me what the best replacement cat is?? other than a high flow cat. ive heard that commodore cats work?? what size entry and exit pipes come off the commodore cat. i will need a 2" entry and will probably use the stock cat back exhaust.

thanks
tris

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
VN cat's would be the most common stock replacement I reckon. From what i've read, it should bolt up to the existing flanges, but don't hold me to it.

If nissan repaired that joint last time, ask them to do it again

Was there any signs of rust on the exhaust?

---dens

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
not that i can see no... ive just had a look under the car and it has snapped straight off the flange... although the pipe is very thin... so maybe that explains why its weak. im getting extractors soon anyway so i need to make up a new exhaust. i might just get a mate to welf the flange back on and use the second half again with a new cat. do you know... is the original secondary pipe (from the first cat to 2nd cat) a 2" pipe??

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
I don't see how going to a bigger cat converter will help at all with a 1.3

Standard inlet/outlet of all the k11 cats I have seen has been around 2.5" and you can't change the honeycomb weave (the internals) to allow too much more gas past as that will defeat the cat's actual purpose...

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
yeah ive taken the cat off and realised that the micra cat i have is working fine and also had 2.5" inlet and outlet holes which will accomodate for a 2" pipe so ill just keep the stocky!! but if any one has any 2" cat back exhausts they dont want id be keen for one!! i got a quote $350 for 2" cat back w/ muffler (probly just some standard one).

thanks, tris

Back