Hi! Newbie here from Lancs..clueless with car :p

Hi Peeps,

I have just bought myself a V Plate Nissan Micra 1.0 Inspiration with 42k and FSH! Quite pleased with the 2 owner car (Nissan in Fylde and then the last 76 Year old Pensioner!)

Having come from a forum orientated gathering asociated with my last car I thought I had to join one for Nissan.

Ive been reading up on some bits of info on changing Cams and engine bits...can anyone respond with anything I can do to imrpove the drive/driveability even further? All suggestions appreciated. :)

is there any way i can make the engine slightly quicker? All ive done upto now is look for fog lights...which are very difficult to find! any tips where i can get hold of some of them semi-circular ones from?

hi there and welcome , if your looking for performance a good start would be to buy a k&n panel filter in your stock airbox , then go from there. you will find out a lot more by using the search bar (top right of the page )

hi there and welcome , if your looking for performance a good start would be to buy a k&n panel filter in your stock airbox , then go from there. you will find out a lot more by using the search bar (top right of the page )

Thanks,
I was going to come onto the airbox question, my question; does it actually make a noticeable difference by installijng this on a 1.0 car?
maybe im just under-estimating the possibilities of a car..it's my 1st 1.0 car so im not overly optimistic u see. i hope i'm proven wrong. :)

Thanks,
I was going to come onto the airbox question, my question; does it actually make a noticeable difference by installijng this on a 1.0 car?
maybe im just under-estimating the possibilities of a car..it's my 1st 1.0 car so im not overly optimistic u see. i hope i'm proven wrong. :)
no-one has actually measured a difference J, but the GA airbox has a greater capacity and keeps the engine bay looking stock.
other induction kits/setups sound good, but tend to give flatspots,
and checkout EBB and baguete,s 1.0 blogs for performance idea,s

no-one has actually measured a difference J, but the GA airbox has a greater capacity and keeps the engine bay looking stock.
other induction kits/setups sound good, but tend to give flatspots,
and checkout EBB and baguete,s 1.0 blogs for performance idea,s

i will definitely be staying in and doing some research this weekend (given the weather that's looking easy!)
get some proper info into my head and then start with the mods.

i take it a GA airbox is from a Almera?

I will definitely check out the blogs you've mentioned, thanks alot matey.

ga16 engine code is the almera/primera 1.6 the ga16 airbox is bigger with the filter inside having more surface area i.e letting more air in. but if youve come from driving a car with a bigger engine dont expect much from the micra , after all it wasnt built with performance in mind.

however if your pocket's are deep enough you could get around 100bhp out of your 1.,0 , some people would think thats a waste of money but the micra is a great handling and fun car to drive.

plus the fact that people dont like to get out dragged by a micra, example i beat a 2.2 v6 vectra in my 1.3 (on a private road of course )and you should of seen his face, he was going all out red lining his car just to get past me. lightweight car with a fast revving engine ftw;)

ga16 engine code is the almera/primera 1.6 the ga16 airbox is bigger with the filter inside having more surface area i.e letting more air in. but if youve come from driving a car with a bigger engine dont expect much from the micra , after all it wasnt built with performance in mind.

however if your pocket's are deep enough you could get around 100bhp out of your 1.,0 , some people would think thats a waste of money but the micra is a great handling and fun car to drive.

plus the fact that people dont like to get out dragged by a micra, example i beat a 2.2 v6 vectra in my 1.3 (on a private road of course )and you should of seen his face, he was going all out red lining his car just to get past me. lightweight car with a fast revving engine ftw;)

Really??? WOW! that is some news to me!
If that was me in the Vectra i would have definitely thought you had a different engine in there (Pulsar or something like that). the fact that this is possible from a 1.0 car is beyond belief for me I must admit.

I'm new to this so any info or pointers you can give to me is much appreciated. I don't have deep pockets unfortunately but cheap (ish) mods would be my path for now. I come from a VW Golf GT TDI 130, I plan on fixing it (after an accident I was involved in) but keeping and running both cars.

would the airbox from the almera fit into a Micra as a 'plug and play' or would i need to make adjustments and make it fit mate? Do you know anywhere I can get some parts from? mine is a 16v which I am lead to believe is the 'better' engine out of the 1 litres? links to ebay parts like air filters and other its would be very helpful.much appreciated matey.

I'm wanting/hoping to achieve around 75bhp (same as a 1.3 i believe) so would you be able to give me some guidance on what I would need to achieve that? The car is a very low mileage car with 43k on the clock now, so i'm hoping the engine is ok to take the extra bits fitted onto it.

I also need some advice on how to fix the gear stick, at the moment the 'springyness' has gone fro it so i have to feel for gear slot
that i'm wanting to push it into, is there a fix for this? Ive been told by other local micra owners that it's a common problem so is this true?

to be honest with you getting 75 bhp from a 1.0 you would have to change a lot of internal parts cams, pistons , exhaust and a port matched head ect ,

i know maybe his car was a bit underpowered plus he had his girlfriend in with him , either way he looked stupid,

to be honest with you getting 75 bhp from a 1.0 you would have to change a lot of internal parts cams, pistons , exhaust and a port matched head ect ,

i know maybe his car was a bit underpowered plus he had his girlfriend in with him , either way he looked stupid,

Lol! i can imagine...

wot would you recomment i change/ the 1st 3 parts that you would change... i'll go from there.

The GA16 box i should be able to get hold of, so 2 more parts..lol.

Hi J-Lancs & welcome

By the time you have modified a 1.0 & declared it on your insurance it would probably be easier to swap for a 1.3 engine itself & leave it on the 1.0 gearbox :)

flipside said:
.plus the fact that people dont like to get out dragged by a micra, example i beat a 2.2 v6 vectra in my 1.3 (on a private road of course )and you should of seen his face, he was going all out red lining his car just to get past me. lightweight car with a fast revving engine ftw;)

And I though R-REG smoked some potent herbs

Skinner_87 said:
Hi J-Lancs & welcome

By the time you have modified a 1.0 & declared it on your insurance it would probably be easier to swap for a 1.3 engine itself & leave it on the 1.0 gearbox :)

+1 swapping the engine would turn out cheaper in the long run as well

To fit almera box you will have to rotate the carbon canister 90degrees. And fit a 70mm cold air.feed pipe.

If your wanting 75bhp (same as the 1.3) why don't you do an engine transplant.? Surely it will be a hell of a lot cheaper if you said you've not got much dosh..

Thanks to all so far for the abundant advice! Very much appreciated and acknowledged!
At the moment i'm not looking into the engine transplane but will keep it for future reference purely because i'd like to get more out of the current engine and knock the miles up abit more.

I'll start out with the airbox, then other bits hopefully. I am confident I'll be well advised and 'cared for' in this new community of mine! :D

karlj keep your childish comments to yourself, if you dont like what i write on here then that's tough sh't, dont assume you know better , and please refrain yourself from calling me a drug user.

1.9 tdi golf is a completely different animal to the 1.0 micra, it is possible to get the acceleration to 60mph about the same, but I'm always dissapointed when I step out of a mates 1.9 tdi and step into my 1.0 as it just lacks pulling power at speed that the turbo diesels do effortlessly.

I'd recommend 1.3 cams, GA airbox and the rev limiter removal trick as a quick way to liven the engine up at high rpm.

j-lancs if i where you i would focus on getting the gt tdi back on the road. how much damage has it got if you dont mind me asking?

It was hit a 600cc bike! I was at a junction waiting to turn right and the biker (i was told by witness) sped off from his other 2 biker buddies and must have seen me late...tried to swerve past me on the right (drivers side) and managed to 'clip' my wing whilst also hitting my headlamp and smashing it to smithereens.

I was told I would need a new front bumper, slam panel, wing and headlights- the car was WRITTEN OFF for that! I couldn't believe it but vowed to get my car back from them and fix it up.

I was told the main reason was that the chassis has ripped off slightly and it's repairable but would cost them too much...

I have since managed to source all the parts and i'm awaiting my car from storage guys to fix up.

j-lancs if i where you i would focus on getting the gt tdi back on the road. how much damage has it got if you dont mind me asking?

My golf has 125k on the clock and ive owned it for 4 years (bought at 87k from near warrington actually!) ...with it having 2 lady owners before me it is in pretty good nick mechanically- pulls really well and I've always serviced it regularly approx every 6-8k miles.

I became quite clued up over the 4 years i owned it, began to start cleaning out the turbo and things like that and just generally keeping the car mechanically straight.

by the way, can anyone tell me how to pics up? have i got to upload them ontoa pic website and then copy the url?

really , was the biker ok?. i seen the same scenario outside my house biker hit at a t junction, his leg was bent in wrong direction.

my friend's van got wrote off after a young girl went into the back of him at a set of light's, he bought it back from the insurance company, put a new door on it and it sailed through the mot & vic check. they said the cost of repairing the vehicle would cost more than the van was worth, ridiculous considering it was 2008. they must quote it with oem part's.

regarding uploading pic's, if you have photobucket you copy the image code from you're library and paste here.

really , was the biker ok?. i seen the same scenario outside my house biker hit at a t junction, his leg was bent in wrong direction.

my friend's van got wrote off after a young girl went into the back of him at a set of light's, he bought it back from the insurance company, put a new door on it and it sailed through the mot & vic check. they said the cost of repairing the vehicle would cost more than the van was worth, ridiculous considering it was 2008. they must quote it with oem part's.

regarding uploading pic's, if you have photobucket you copy the image code from you're library and paste here.

They biker in my collision didn't break anything (i don't think) as he got back up and was clearly shaken, he did fly off about 15 feet though!!

I take it with your mates van it was a cat c? Anything more than a cat D requires a VIC check, well I've just found out over the weekend that mines a cat C so it would require one. Really hoped it would be a Cat D so I could have just fixed it and driven it but I'm sure once i've repaired it, the car should fly through the VIC check; just the faff of getting the vic check done.

They do quote using OEM parts yes mate, plus the labour charge of £100/hr or so! lol. All i need to do now is find a decent, reliable repairer round my end..it's a HUGE ask for round here!

the vic check is just an identity check to make sure the car has the same chassis , engine etc. they dont check for road worthyness that's what the mot's for. i have recently took a car for it's vic check and it was pretty straight forward .

the vic check is just an identity check to make sure the car has the same chassis , engine etc. they dont check for road worthyness that's what the mot's for. i have recently took a car for it's vic check and it was pretty straight forward .

Cheers for that mate, you've been a great help so far! I was actually getting abit deflated after the VIC check thing but now with the new info you've given i'm looking forward to fixing the car again as much as I was before. :)

Back