Here is the situation....

T

tkr930

I have some issues which I would like to share with the rest of you:

- For a week ago I bought a 1988 Micra 1.2L. The engine is running quite OK but there are however some strange noises. At iddle one can notice light ticking but when driving the ticking is much "deeper" so to say (this ticking is at a somewhat constant level). I have today changed the oil in engine/gearbox and also the tires. I have also noticed that the "regular" noise level (when travelling at 110km/h) is too high but I can´t locate it. I do believe that it´s a combination of engine / gearbox wear. The cars mileage is around 137000 km and the valves have been adjusted recently...

So, to get rid of this irritating noise I searched the Internet and found those "incredible" oil additives which almost restore the engine to a new condition. Therefore I decided to ask you guys about your opinion about these products specially Slick 50 and RVS (the last one is to be found at: http://www.rvs-tec.com/English/faq.htm).

Please let me know what you think (here in Sweden many people interested in motors eg hobbyist, mechanics and so on discard those products as fake. In the words of the more radically critics this is "bull####" and nothing else only ment to rip people of money)
A RVS "treatment" engine+gearbox costs around Euro 120)....

Even if I´m very sceptic myself I would like to hear your comments :)

Thank´s!

Best regards,
Marius
Sweden

these addatives are not something that I would recommend, it is far better to repair a problem than to hide it. It sounds from your description that you might have a broken piston ring at least, or maybe a worn camshaft.

or it could just be that the tappet spacings need looking at ;) these additives are rubbish, me and fox1983 used lots of diffrent ones to try and rectify problems with his engine and although maybe it lasted longer with them it still blew up in the end :p

I would also say that these products are a 'false economy', they may mask the problem for a bit but the problem is still there.

Personally i would fix the problem, as Speedle said Just because the valve clearances have been done dosent mean they have been done correctly.:p

Back