gearbox is dead

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
Woo I accidently fanged it through first gear and yeah I must've broken something.

Go to take off slowly in first gear now and the grinding noise is REALLY bad..also it will just halt at some stage like the actual gear is missing a teeth or something...Have to try and get out of 1st/2nd as quick as I can. Gonna be fun in traffic to night..if it even goes..

When I parked ..shouldve seen the oil dripping out of the seal between the gearbox and engine.

Hopefully I can get home..lol.

I think somethings been a bit screwed there over past few weeks and the gearbox drained itself to death.

Oh well lucky I've got a spare..

end rant.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Rear gearbox seal gone for sure along along with bits and pieces of metal floating around somewhere.
Oh well lucky you have a spare box.
Still reckon you should talk to Feral Errol about ways to toughen it up before you do a transplant if you go with the standard box.
Good luck and hope to hear you are back on the road ASAP.

cisco

» CMF Member
Bad news mate. Not good at all.

Have fun with the swap. Be good to throw a fresh one in there, should last a while :)

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
Heh I left the car in the carpark (since the traffic was SCREWED because of the rain pissing down) and took a friends VX SS for a drive ..was going to go home and pick the micra up later but ended up just stopping at a KFC and reading the paper, etc .

first v8 ive driven and woah..theres definately some big penis extension thing going on with the deep low growl that came from its aftermarket exhausts...its like you feel more manly! hahaha

I was scared to turn off traction control because yeah..i accidently slipped on the accelerator at one stage and the back end just kicked out and traction control came on.

pretty cool though very different, big, heavy steering. i like the sound of em. so much damn torque too. doesn't even feel like you are going fast.

ended up putting the holden back into the car park and got my car back.

anyway the micra made it home. glad i didnt drive it in the traffic because starting off in 1st/2nd was REALLY BAD.

CMF_Urban

» CMF Member
Yes, my dad owns a V8 Monaro... And it is certainly different to a micra (Yes, i can drive and monaro! and i do drive it a lot, lol. It's insured for under 25's.... 17 and driving a monaro. :O)

The power is so different... Like it was said, you feel much more manly and macho... lol.

I love how the exhaust gargles as you back off the accelerator... Oh boy... I want to go drive it right now the more i think about it.

For being such a heavy car. (I believe it's around 1.7tonne, correct me if i'm wrong) damn it can accelerate fast... You just get launched back into the seat and off you go... Squat and go... yummm...

Sorry. I could rant for hours about driving certain cars... VW Golf's, V8 Monaro, Nissan Micra, 1970 Shelby Mustang GT500, XA GT coupe (over 500 horsepower, My uncle is into the old muscle cars! Gotta love him) Never driven a turbo'd car before.... Will have to try find one to drive... lol

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
turbo's give you the best kick back in your seat feeling i reckon

my car actually feels faster than the ss.

but the ss's speedo is pretty rapid as well. its more of a linear feeling i think

sounds great though

CMF_thesarah

» CMF Member
thats like with my car...the first time the other day i heard the vtecz from OUTSIDE of the car, i believe i need a better pod filter to inhance the sound haha...

once you fix the gear box ill take it for a bit of a fang hehe

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
I'd be dead before my girlfriend got a hold of my keys

God knows I love her... But I don't trust her that much

Cars sound weird from the outside. A mate of mine swapped our cars (modded VP SS) and man his sounds ghey from the inside and mine sounds tough! Switch over and its the same feeling though

When'e your gearbox gonna be slammed in Aaron?

Sean

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
OK so the front bearing in the gearbox was totally MASHED.

there was metal bits floating around in the oil leaking out and the input shaft at about 3-4mm of play in it.

as a result it had a massive oil leak.

Motor is too powerful for gearbox..I suppose all the ABUSE it got over the last year and a half..not to mention dirty launches and stuff at the track finally took its toll.

Also the thrust bearing was a bit dodgy so we're gonna see if we can replace it.

But yay car back THIS AFTER NOON! Don't believe I havent had the stupid car for a month now. Dying to get back into it.

I think i'll have to be a bit gentle on the gearbox now..

SHOULDVE BOUGHT THE gearbox/driveshaft set from cisco.

BOO.

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
for ****s sake.

Everything back in, however the stupid clutch is slipping now as soon as the car hits boost.

So i need a stronger clutch.

MICRA 190mm HD clutches. $319 inc GST - AS#&*#$(Q

Does anyone know if this will work with the JUN flywheel?

Bah.

Aaron

cisco

» CMF Member
Man, I feel ya frustration. Always the way.
That's what you get when you are a pioneer!

Yes, it will fit the JUN perfectly.

Errol made sure it will. The only doubt of not fitting something was not fitting the early model datrats lightweight flywheels which only had 180mm worth of friction material in the centre. Then after he worked out he could get these 190mm clutches, he made the new datrats flywheels 190mm centre friction material diameter to bite onto the larger clutch. Otherwise yeah the clutch would be useless. But yeah no worries with the JUN because the entire JUN face is friction material. JUN!

The pressure plate you're getting will be the same as mine. I sent mine to Errol and he went and did some research through Exedy and sourced them or something.

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Yeah it'll fit Aaron...

And the clutch cover is now pink!! Mine was the first ever pink clutch

Is he trying to tell me something

Don't fret mate, she'll be back on the road soon and you'll be boosting hard again

Sean

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
Does someone want to help me change? lol..I really don't want to pay more Labour of them having to take the stupid gearbox out and and in again.

I'm considering doing it my self..

I'm gonna take the car back now anyway and just drive it around off boost and see how it goes. Maybe it will.FIX itself (lol doubt it) but other than that i'll have to save up some dosh for the bigger clutch = selling all these intercoolers i have lying around!

FYI this is what errol wrote back to me:

Aaron,
The thinner JUN flywheels dont help with clutch problems as they dont have the volume of metal to absorb the heat that the stock flywheel has or the alloy ones I make up. The volume of metal is not large enough to absorb all the heat produced and the temp build up causes gassing of the bonding material in the facing so the clutch slips. The Jun wheels are good on N/A engines but a bit thin in my opinion for a high torque turbo car.

A larger 190 diameter clutch will help but a larger thermal mass flywheel would be better.

Cisco's car is using one of the 190mm clutches on a Jun wheel. I havent had any reports of problems ???
Maybe your engine is making more torque than his engine???

cisco

» CMF Member
The JUN definately has nothing to do with the clutch slipping.

My clutch has never ever slipped. Just very roughly - torque is roughly a function of boost. With my car making up to 17psi etc, its making big torque for the engine at mid range RPM, and the T25 is smaller than your T25G, so its more alive by the mid RPM. I've never ever actually had a problem with clutch slip.

I think its just your clutch. Get the 190mm one and go for it.

JUN are an A1 quality Japanese quality parts company, that research everything, they don't just make it a random size and hope it works.

The only thing that can happen, and this has happened to me twice. Once was really bad (that's when I got the new clutch recently) and another time only slightly, but did no damage to anything.. Was. The clutch getting too hot when I missed a gear change, I really stuffed up the gear change.. And then it heated up the fingers and bent them. This time only very slightly and it hasn't affected anything, but I know they have been bent slightly because the clutch pedal rattle a bit. But the first time it warped the fingers so much that the clutch then slipped and was cooked basically.

Errol suggested to me at the time that perhaps the flywheel is too thin for that amount of torque and when things get really hot, all that heat goes straight into the clutch diaphram. But it was only when I stuffed up a gear change badly.. And the clutch never ever slips.

But I reckon with the amount of power my car puts out I could buy any lightweight flywheel and stuff up gear changes deliberately and cook the fingers on one of those 190mm clutches again if you really wanted to.

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
Thats what I'm thinking as well might be a bit greasy..

Dave - Its already got a HD exedy in there..I dont understand why it would slip for because it was FINE beforehand..

Oh well either way im going to get the car back. Drive it for a bit might burn off the extra oil (if any) and (hopefully) right itself out.

Otherwise i'll save for the bigger clutch and put it in at a later date.

Might be tee'ing up a visit to Errol too just so he can have a look at my car and offer any advice and stuff. Might be cheaper for him to put the stuff in for me as well.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Errol would be a good bet.I am sure you have oil on the clutch.
Does not slip say when you first start cold . If it was worn it would slip all the time hot or cold.
Only way to find out will be to pull it out a have a look.
I am sure it will not get better the longer you drive it.
****e Aaron you are in the wars at the moment.

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
Got it back tonight

Slips all the time hot or cold when boost comes in. Not enough clamping force.

The lightweight flywheel feels AWESOME though. Just the way the revs behave is great..between gears, etc. I love it.

I just wish I could use it to its full potential.

190mm clutch here I come.

Back