Winters nearly here

Micra 110

Site Supporter
Seing as winter is nearly upon us i usually do a Nut and Bolt check for looseness due to the poor road surfaces, an Electrical connector check whereby i undo the connector and look for corrosion on terminals. Obviously this is for the most exposed connectors which is mainly at the front. I also have the Wheel allignment done...oh and i take out all the lightbulbs and give them a clean, it's amazing how dirty they actually get....*keep finger prints off the Bulb glass*... All the usual checks on Belts, Spark plugs, Engine Oil level and Gearbox level.....cripes i'm a fiddler or am i paranoid! fwn :laugh: lol!

So what steps are peeps going to take to keep their P&J running sweet? :)

o me k11 i have to replace the front fuse box, behind the headlight, as its corroded so badly, the fuse for the left hand headlight has melted right through..... i may just cut the wires out of the fuse box and fit in a load of inline fuses....... then stick em in a sealed box...

but its a pain..lol

I need to do 3 things:
Fix my heater and turn my air intake from summer to winter. Then increase my antifreeze from 25 to 50 percent.

Well my first winter in a car, on my motorbike i just used to remember to clean it regularly to keep that darn salt of my engine, when my tenfoot iced up it used to be great, about the only time i could get a 125 to wheelspin!

Although i won't miss ice cold freezing morning leaving for work at 6AM when its snowing, i will miss firing up my bike and watching all the snow and ice evapourate off it in a cloud of steam as it heats up!

Well my first winter in a car, on my motorbike i just used to remember to clean it regularly to keep that darn salt of my engine, when my tenfoot iced up it used to be great, about the only time i could get a 125 to wheelspin!

Although i won't miss ice cold freezing morning leaving for work at 6AM when its snowing, i will miss firing up my bike and watching all the snow and ice evapourate off it in a cloud of steam as it heats up!

dont you just love it when you go throught deep puddle on the bike at a decent speed then you leave a trail of steam!! :D

- Keep the pressure on the tyres
- Winter kit in boot: blanket, spare bulbs etc
- Check fluids... renew anti freeze and ensure all heating / controls are working
- Make sure battery is charging etc.
- Check wiper blades and renew... incase of snow / sleet
- Visual inspection and maintenance of glass
- Can of Holts Wet start in the boot... and re-spray all wires under bonnet
- Keep bucket in porch to pour water and remove the ice...
- Buy ice scraper.. dont buy the spray...
- Grease hinges / de-icer or wd40 in locks.. though its remote locking... incase!

and all the other checks... I think the key is mechanical sympathy.. let the engine temp settle in the middle before accelerating hard... rather than flooring it from cold.. which is asking for it!

This year Im going to try something new.. Kevlar/Ceramic heat proof mat under the bonnet... and rivet it on to aid engine starting and drive out moisture..

I need to put a splash guard over my alternator as the lack of a front grille will let it get wet, also I need a grille in front of the radiator to stop wet leaves blocking it.
My heater didn't work, I whacked the valve on the matrix and it is now stuck on hot, good enough.

Get the buzzer fixed that ought to go off when you accidentally leave the lights on (have had a look and can't work it out myself!), coolant and oil change, maybe get some silicone wipers that dont squeak. Just had tracking/wheel balance, brakes and backbox done, and MOT is coming up... fingers crossed.

Should never remove ice/frost with a bucket of water, if its warm/hot water the big change in temperature can crack glass, and if its cold chances are it will just freeze over again!

My car has suffered every winter i've owned it. Even driving today in the drizzle, it felt really jolty and rough. Luckily, it's having its guts ripped out and a nice 2.0 fitted in its place.

So my winter preperation this year, find my nice warm jacket and waterproof's as i'm walking to work each day lol

Last time it rained badly I kept losing all electrics so I need to tighten my alternator belt thing cos it was getting wet.

Get the buzzer fixed that ought to go off when you accidentally leave the lights on

.....ours sounds like some deranged Bee...... :laugh:

My car has suffered every winter i've owned it. Even driving today in the drizzle, it felt really jolty and rough. Luckily, it's having its guts ripped out and a nice 2.0 fitted in its place.

So my winter preperation this year, find my nice warm jacket and waterproof's as i'm walking to work each day lol

2,0? what Engine you putting in then Arnold? :upside:

walkings good for ya..... :)....not all the time though...:grinning:

From a ford :p

Only joking. we'l keep this thread on topic but i'l inform you all of plans & progress shortly.

lol @ deranged bee

agreed @ warm water buttt.. I found that a pinch of salt helps. Though keep the solution away from body work if you are using salt.

That buzzer is soo annoying!! so i disconnected it :upside: Still got my heater to fix as its gonna be bloody cold in the winter with a stripped interior >.<

Back