Help

I recently took a micra off my grandfathers hands which only had approx 25k on it and its in really good nick apart from the front brakes squealing. My problem is that when I tried to remove them yesterday the bolt heads are so rusted (only real rust I've found) that the sockets don't match up, either too big or too small.

Any tips on getting these off and where abouts to get replacements?

Edit: I tried a Nissan dealer but they want £35 which seems quite steep.

Whichever bolt is rung, hammer a good quality draper socket 1 mm smaller on just to remove the bolt and bin the bolt. You have a choice, the 12mm on the caliper is handy to replace as the caliper splits and the pads are easy to swop. Or you can replace the two bolts that hold the whole caliper on the hub and still swop the pads. My 22 year old micra needs the bolts replaced but some day I will take a trip up the scrapy and find a car that no one butchered the bolts and buy the heap. The guy normally gives me all the bolts I need for a £1 ,, but I've been going to him for parts for 23 years

Last edited:
And remember your best friend on older cars, copper ease. Put some on the BACK of the pads/shimms piston side and you will have no more squeals
Got that in buckets! Cheers for the tips, think I'll just have to get the new parts so I'll probably take off the calipers and give them a good clean + new brake fluid at the same time :)

Any idea what the bolt specs are?
I went to Nissan and they gave me 4x10mm diameter bolts (17mm head) which doesn't seem right given what you've said.

m8 maybe ? they might be metric fine tho
swinging the caliper up means you can change each pad without the spring clips falling out, and removing only 1 bolt is less risky for a 1st timer

Back