Rear brakes started thumping - feel though handbrake & pedal?

Morning guys, hope all keeping well in these times.

Last week did a rebuild of entire front brakes. What we thought good & well maintained was 90% original Nissan 94' metal! In reality only the one caliper bolt rusted but changed everything. Worked amazing well ..... until yesterday! :)

Started car, into reverse, thump! Car struggled to move, went forward, thump. Reversed back, all seemed fine. Drove all day no real problem.

Today, start up, drive, then upon braking ..... thump, thump thump on pedal braking which you can proper fell.

Tried handbrake, exactly the same, worse. Front end seems fine as it should.What you reckon?

Now the back end definitely had drums, shoes and maybe cylinders done about 4 years back and had worked well.

I'm wandering if it's thrown a lining or even a shoe? Not looked yet but wanted get a heads up before strip down, so I could maybe order ahead anyway.

Also wander if the front end braking being woken up (being all new) and refreshed has caused the problem at the rear or just coincidence?

Anyone seen or heard this one? I guess it's worth to replace shoes anyway if I'm taking it apart.

Thanks in advance for help and input as always

Last edited:
Take the drums off and have a look

Yeah for sure, was just trying to get some feedback before Lego time. If someone were to go .... bingo, that's shoes or a lining then can order and take apart once rather than twice. Was just to get a heads up before spanner time. But you right. :)

Back