Help with rear brake drum removal

Hey all.

Around 20,000 miles ago my 2000 k11 micra (23,000 miles at the time) wore through the front brake pads and I needed new pads and discs (**** knows how the previous owner drove!) and now the car is on 40,500 miles. I just checked the front brakes and there is about 5mm of material on each pad - Fine for another year.

However, I cannot seem to get the drum off on the rear brakes to check them. As far as I am aware they have never been changed and so must be low. I took the wheel off and poked a screwdriver in the hole at the back as the Haynes manual says but I still cannot get the drum off.

What do I do? Please forgive my epic nubness :p.

The pads tend to wear themselves a groove to sit in, you will have to get a big lever and hammer and prise/bladder them off mate. This will probably ruin the pads so best get some new ones anyway. Also, before you put it back together make sure to grind the lip off to make it easy for next time :) (Y)

Will that not ruin the drum? Could you post a picture if possible. I could go ahead and do it but don't wish to break the thing in the process.
My car experience is limitied. I understand how it works (just done an engineering degree) yet my 'hands on' experience is very limited.
Feel free to speak to me like I am an idiot - No explaination is too simple!

small club hammer should do. wedge large type screw driver in any gap you can physically create,get at it in even places all the way round from behind
but as said you have to damage the shoes in the end, cause of the lip

So to check the rear brake shoes I must actually damage them - Thanks for the tip!
Is it likely that I will need to replace anything else on the rear brakes? If I will damage the shoes by checking then I will just buy new ones anyway. The car has done 41,000 miles and as far as I know these are the original shoes.

So to check the rear brake shoes I must actually damage them - Thanks for the tip!
Is it likely that I will need to replace anything else on the rear brakes? If I will damage the shoes by checking then I will just buy new ones anyway. The car has done 41,000 miles and as far as I know these are the original shoes.

pull the handbrake to check them , if they stop you rolling down a hill i woul...................how many clicks on the handbrake?

If the handbrake works well and doesn't pull up too high chances are the rear shoes are fine.

OK, thanks for that. I have never even checked them though and the car has done 41,000 miles! Do rear shoes wear much more slowly than the front discs then?
For future reference, is there a centre hub cap that I must remove on the drums to get them off? The poking the screwdriver through the hole did sod all (Haynes manual tip).

pop the drum off. Lever from 2 sides at a time

This is the bit I am at. I just haven't the confidence to try things as I am not good hands on. I really wish to try though!

Had a look on google. Looks like I just need to smack each side with a hammer. Can anyone confirm that there is no centre hub cap thingy to take off on the micra?

100% theres no nuts to come off. Hit edges of drum with hammer and wirebrush/wd40 the centre where it slides on to free/loosen. Does the drum spin when handbrake released?

I did my shoes at about 100,000 miles, I can't imagine yours are too worn.

I did my shoes at about 100,000 miles, I can't imagine yours are too worn.

+1 many k11,s get scrapped with the factory fitted shoes still fitted, or they only get changed because the leaky cylinders have soaked them

Back