Help please!

Bence_Fs

Wha Tank
Hi again, need a little help and advice

I bought omp racing pads/discs

got the car jacked up, wheels off and got the new pads installed only to find the caliper wouldnt fit over them...

any idea why this could be or how to fix it?

also, any scottish meets coming up soon?

thanks guys

have you pushed the piston back into the caliper before hand? theres no reason it shouldnt go back together...

also if your pushing the piston back in, take the lid off the brake fluid pot and put a rag around it

tommo said:
have you pushed the piston back into the caliper before hand? theres no reason it shouldnt go back together...

also if your pushing the piston back in, take the lid off the brake fluid pot and put a rag around it

lol! call me stupid but how do i go about doing this?

tommo said:

I usually put a hose on the bleed nipple and loosen it half a turn before i push the piston back, its a lot less messy and easier to push back.

Bence_Fs said:
lol! call me stupid but how do i go about doing this?

Ok the easy way is to use a big G clamp and 1 of the old pads, put the pad on the piston and use the G clamp to wind it back in.

Alternativly you could use big pipe grips to press it back in, i do so many at work that i bought a proper wind back tool:laugh:

Brake pads! skeletor?

stonesie said:
Ok the easy way is to use a big G clamp and 1 of the old pads, put the pad on the piston and use the G clamp to wind it back in.

Alternativly you could use big pipe grips to press it back in, i do so many at work that i bought a proper wind back tool:laugh:

is there an easier way other than clamping, only just started gettin a decent set of tools together so i dont have clamps or anything of the sort yet

totaly of topic question but the gear knob in my 96 micra shape wont come off, any ideas why?
its not a screw on/off is it?

sonic said:
I usually put a hose on the bleed nipple and loosen it half a turn before i push the piston back, its a lot less messy and easier to push back.

im not too fussy though mate ;)

If the person aint too mechanically minded and the cars a bit older then chances are the bleed nipples are gonna be a bit tight and may snap, id say it was easier to take off the reservoir cap mysel mate - personal opinion tho.

Another way of pushing the piston back is to stick a long screwdriver through the "gap" at the top of the caliper and across the piston and push rather hard. Dont push the piston back too fast or you may damage the seals!

Daz

Alienfish360 said:
I always use G-Clamps.

If you're building up your toolkit and don't have clamps, now is the time to get some ;)

Gearknob screws on and off

ill head out tomoro and get clamps then,

cheers for all the info guys

Back