Help, Non starter :(

Bence_Fs

Wha Tank
Hope someone can help out a bit

parked the car up on saturday around 1pm, went down this morning and it wouldnt start.
checked all the connections, fuses, everything i can think of

it turns over like it wants to start then just dies and makes a clicking sound...

ive tried a mates battery in the car aswell incase it was the battery not having enough charge or somethin but still no joy

any suggestions are welcome lol

try using jump leads from another running cars battery, you have probably flooded yours trying to start it when it was damp.

:k12red: my k12 did the same the battery was nackered and not charging would recomend a new batt as thats what it sounds like.that also happened when a sensor broke on the crank shaft?(i think)

quick update, see if anyone can help out atall now

ive checked the fuel lines and the engine is gettin fuel, checked that im gettin a spark aswell and thats fine... got a nice big blue spark

i pulled out the spark plugs and strangely, 1 and 4 are wet which was a good sign i guess
but 2 and 3 were dry and black with soot

any ideas?

only thing i can think of was the distributer maybe?

ive ordered a new distributer cap and rotor arm for tomoro

any more opinions and help will be much appreciated

thanks

ive tried a mates battery in the car aswell incase it was the battery not having enough charge or somethin but still no joy

Still no joy???? Whats that mean, does it turn over the same, a little bit then die? Or does it not start and turns over and over ok?

Ive fitted a new rotor arm, distributer cap, ht leads and spark plugs

it starts alot easier, have to keep the accelerator flat to the floor to get it to start though.

when its running i get a bit of black smoke, and as soon as i come of the accelerator it cuts out...

totaly out of ideas now!!!

only other idea floating about is that maybe the throttle body has went...

bence try bumping it along the road doing 30-50mph and drop it into 4th lift the clutch and hopfully it should sort it out and clear it- my 1ltr micra did this last year i moved it onto the drive then it didnt start so my dad toed me down the road and its has been fine ever since and now my mother has it:)

i can start it, it sounds like a bag of nuts though

it would move if i put it into gear and gave it a good hard rev

you reckon if i boot it down the street it might clear it?

cheers

Well its certainly pumping in way to much fuel, could be a blocked injector but unlikely symptoms for a mpi. MAf tends to run too lean when it dies, do pre-facelifts have a throttle position sensor or crank or camshaft position sensor. although last two are highly unlikely based on the symptoms.

Booting it up and down the street didnt work

as soon as i come of the accelerator it just cuts out

once again, any help or ideas will be much appreciated

anyone lol??

i took my cone filter of to make sure that it wasnt blocked, looks fine down the mesh aswell and the metal flap inside the Throttle body moves fine

The exhaust coughs and splutters like mad when im on the accelerator and as soon as i come of the gas, the car dies and cuts out

thanks for the replies:)

are you getting a good spark from all four plugs and leads ? are all four injectors squirting ? if they are all ok then it looks like a throttle body problem.

sounds like a TB problem try and boot it along the street at a hih speed mate- like i said try 30-50 mph might clear it out - did with mine anyway

Gave booting it a good go last night, had it on the red line in second for a second or two lol!
Granted it took an age to get there though.

im pretty conviced its the throttle body myself but i thought there would have been a bit of warning if it was that... Slow pickup, Stalling etc...

It drove fine on the satuday then just wouldnt start come monday

cheers for the replies

thats the funny thing about throttle bodies, some go slowly over time, some go suddenly, my mum in laws was fine when she put into the garage one night but gone the following morning when she got it out.

so my best bet is to change the throttle body over for a functioning unit?

i can maybe steal one of a trade in at work:devil:

went and got another ThrottleBody from my local scrappy and still the engine doesnt want to work

Im totaly open to any ideas anyone can come up with on a fix for this

thanks

bence

i would double check those plug leads, order should be (looking at dizzy end on)
3 at the top, then 1,2 and 4 clockwise
sounds like 1 and 4 are reversed! (wet plugs and running rough)
link to a diagram if i hav,nt balls it up!
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f47/TomEA/

frank

oops!
good job there were no pics of my daughters there, misses would have gone ape-s**t

i had a similar problem with a different car, was the cold start thermostat for some reason. have also heard about the timing being out due to slipping causing it to fire at the wrong time. not sure if this can happen with a chain though.

cheers for the replies!

ill have a double check of the leeds but im pretty sure ive got them in order

1-3-4-2?

and thanks for the sketch aswell:p

yea, im pretty sure ive got them in the right order. ill double check when i get down to the car though

if the leads arnt correct then im totally outa ideas once again.

its getting a spark, fuel and its got a working throttle body and new Plugs, so why the hell is it not ideling!! :p

lol i hate cars, might go back to a push bike

21 gears and pedal power

how many miles the engine done? that might just be plain fubard. also check every spark plug has a spark if not already done that. lastly did you recently fill up? you might have really crap fuel or something if its smoking loads, last time my car smoked was when i put a tonne of carb cleaner down the inlet lol

cars done about 115000 miles lol

always been serviced at the correct intervals and i serviced it about a month ago, i only use shell petrol in it. it ran fine for a few days after i filled up so i dont think its that

got the new throttle body on it yesterday,

it had new plugs, distributer cap, rotor arm and ht leads about 2 weeks ago

to get the car to run i have to sit with my foot to the floor and crank it and eventualy it does come on and runs pretty rough for about 10 seconds but after a few high revves it sounds pretty normal besides my exhaust note. the note of the exhaust is alot deeper than usual...

as soon as i jump of the acelerator and let the revs come down the car will 9 times out of 10 cut out
theres been the odd time where its sort of tried to idle but it sounds like a bag of bolts!!!

ive tried booting it up and down the street to see if anything chenges when the engine warms up but that didnt do anythin

once again, thanks for the replies

much appreciated

just wodnering if its got compression then maybe headgasket or something has gone, worse case scenario. does sound a lot like its over fuelling. try running it with o2 sensor unplugged or as suggested before check each injector is working correctly (not leaking, etc). also could it be a knackered ECU? soooo many options lol

i dont have the right tool to check compression, assuming your talking about the one that you screw down into the spark plug hole and crank the engine over

how do i check the injectors are working correctly
and where is the o2 sensor located, just a rough location and ill figure it out lol

thanks

bence

testing injectors is not really a diy job
sensor is on ex manifold (3 wires)
if the missfire is on 1 cylinder your,l feel a differance in temperature between ex headers (might need to pull heatsheild forward tho)
that would give some indication of duff injector/plug/lead etc

frank

dont know how to check compression, or how to check injectors (sorry, im still learning myself lol and ive never had to do either of those before.. touch wood!) but others here will know. as the o2 sensor its the one poking out the exhaust manifold. just unplug it from the loom see if it helps, doubt it will becuase your car sounds too had it for it to be the o2 but its worth trying!

also: if theres a misfire on just one cylinder doesnt the car normally idle okay anyway but just badly? or is that just the gaytronic ecu one? becuase that might rule out injectors...

Back