Help needed!!

M

MMs Bird

Hi guys. Hoping someone will be able to understand wot I'm babblin on about and offer some advice :)

Lastnight I started my car and it started ok then it just cut out after like 2 seconds. Then an orange light on my dash started flashing. I think it was a pic of the engine or somet and it said 'CHECK' on it. I'd have a look in my manual but it's at uni and I'm at home. I know it's not the engine oil light or the battery light, so I don't really know.

The cars been sittin at Waynes durin the week not doin out while he's bein fixed up but I drove him home alright. Could it be anything to do with the dash being taken out and not put in correctly u reckon?? My speedo has stopped workin too fwn

Hope someone can help..thanks in advance :)

i had a good look through my manual but couldnt find anything like you described. it sounds like an electrical fault somewhere. id go get it checked out. sorry i cant be of more help.

Right - the orange light is the check engine light.
Most probally because the car has ben sitting the battery may have gone a bit dead, but it should be okay within a few days if thats the case.
Hope that helps!
A fairly drunk Titch! :kungfu:

danni said:
hmmm.... that light sounds as if its a problem with the alternator ;)

hahaha as if she sits there and listens to me talking to dan of the issues :p
and then passes it off as herself :p

eeash i tell thee..

regarding the speedo! was the actually speedo cable reconnected from behind o_O i know i put the 2 on and then was under neath the dash struggling to free thae other cable (the ones dan said "oh yeah, they are all in place we can put it on noe" :glare:) put the cover was put on before i knew of it so erm. that could solve that.

regadrding the light (as danni says:glare:)aounds to be the alternator symbol. may be due to battery faiding and needing a recharge, or could be a dodgy earth of sorts

have a look at it tomorrow! ive told dan a few things to do so should be able to get him back to mine.

one last thing:
MMs Bird said:
The cars been sittin at Waynes durin the week not doin out while he's bein fixed up but I drove him home alright.

erm. it was at mine 2 days (1 night) because you keep taking him back so i cant do the work :p

:D wayne

happened on mine too... first the battery was flat so I replaced that before I would have to be looking at a new starter motor etc... put it this way... if your battery is fine, your sparks are fine and distributor cap is ok then I'd say... starter motor and may be just may be the ignition coil... that orange light you describe is an electrical fault light... it usually comes on for a dodgy fan belt but it may well be any electrical fault so I'd have it checked out if I was you. Hope it helps.

morning,

my engine management light came on last weekend but seemed to sort itsself when i put my standard air box back on ...anyway

your problem

according to the nissan book if the eninge management light comes on and starts flashing then you need to visit nissan asap dont drive above 60 dont accelerate hard be carful, its an emissions problem, seeing as your car started and cut out after 2 seconds then it seems more likley to be this than a battery because it describes the symptons in the user manual, if it was battery or aletnator the light would have most probably been constant but sometimes dimmer and brigher. hope this helps

a friend of mine has a fiesta and it did the same, his lamdba sensor was bummed so the ecu didnt know what was happenin so it cut out!
id check the lambda sensor

Thanks for the help peeps :) ...I'll make sure Dan checks this thread so he can try to fix Mike cos I don't really have much of a clue what any of you are talkin about lol....I'm sure Dan can come to the rescue. If not then Quickie is in trouble lol :p

just thought it was that cos ya said it aint been used for a while... 1 or 2 weeks would be ok but 3 or more weeks then it would be the battery etc... agree with the above thou see how it runs over the coming days but if the light is still on then u gotta fix it asap.

Just to throw in my two penneth worth, I had this happen to me a few months back on mine, it started fine then cut out after two seconds and I got the flashing orange light with 'check' on.

Mine turned out to me having both keys on the same key ring apparently having more than one key on your bunch interferes with the immobiliser, I took one of the keys off and hey presto it now works. Hope the info may be of some use to you.

:blush:

Jo

SexyCurves said:
Just to throw in my two penneth worth, I had this happen to me a few months back on mine, it started fine then cut out after two seconds and I got the flashing orange light with 'check' on.

Mine turned out to me having both keys on the same key ring apparently having more than one key on your bunch interferes with the immobiliser, I took one of the keys off and hey presto it now works. Hope the info may be of some use to you.

:blush:

Jo

o_O

and the car was stood for 2 days. ANd had been started numourous times between that time!!

and why am i gonna be in trouble??
you should have left him with me to finish then :p and he would go in a grump with you for keep stealinghim back from me when he isnt fully dressed. driving him around half naked and a mess

Ok, kinda come to the conclusion that it is the immobilser so gunna get the spare key later on and try that. See if that works. It can't be anything else as we have practically eliminated them now. Cheers for the help lads and lasses. I will keep you updated. :)

When the problem occured on my car, I looked in the manual and it stated that if you have two keys together it causes a confliction with the immobiliser. My problem did not occur until after a few days of having two keys together. It had started numerous times without a problem and then did the same as stated in the first post. I drove to the supermarket came back went to start the engine it kicked in and then cut out after two seconds.

I am assuming by your last reply that you do not have two keys together so it is probably not this problem, thought I would just share what I found out

Hope you get it sorted soon fwn

Jo

Just seems to be that as it starts up if you first put the key in, but won't start again after that. If you turn the ignition off and take the key out it seems to reset itself and starts for a few seconds again. :) Thats what made me think it was the immobiliser. :) Cheers for the help.

Mike is alive!!! Turned out the little cover for the ignition was snapped which had a wire for the immobiliser. When we discovered it was snapped after a lot of looking, we went to get a replacement from the scrap yard, and hey presto it worked woo hehe. :D All sorted now anyway, ready to take back to Wayne's shortly. :)

Back