NATS Problem

Hi all not been here for a while but now got a problem...went away for 2 weeks and decided yo disconnect battery to save it draining...came back,put battery back on now car won't start,it's turning over but won't start and noticed the red NATS Indicator stays illuminated when turning over....any ideas thanks

Hi it seems to be a NATS Malfunction message.
I can just say that this could be caused by leaving the battery disconnected. For so long you may have caused a bigger problem than just a flat battery.

Maybe someone will give a more detailed answer to you soon. And or have a solution for when a battery has been disconnected for long periods of time..

Screenshot_2019-10-20-16-58-13_1.jpeg

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Hi it seems to be a NATS Malfunction message.
I can just say that this could be caused by leaving the battery disconnected. For so long you may have caused a bigger problem than just a flat battery.

Maybe someone will give a more detailed answer to you soon. And or have a solution for when a battery has been disconnected for long periods of time..

View attachment 65905

Thanks for the reply...when I turn the engine over the key symbol stays illuminate, was wondering if it is an easy fix as I only paid £500 for the car so don't want to spend more than it's worth...

Could try using the other key.
I would imagine if you have the original stereo. Then it would have forgotten the code for that.
Quite a common issue.
Another thing you could try is to recharge the battery. And check the wires are clear from any corrosion. So to be sure its got good connectivity.
Would be a good idea to check its connected properly. Since you have recently removed that part as you said above.

Could try using the other key.
I would imagine if you have the original stereo. Then it would have forgotten the code for that.
Quite a common issue.
Another thing you could try is to recharge the battery. And check the wires are clear from any corrosion. So to be sure its got good connectivity.
Would be a good idea to check its connected properly. Since you have recently removed that part as you said above.

Have tried both keys and put new batteries in both to be sure,also I only disconnected the negative terminal from the battery and never removed it from the car, also made sure terminal was clean before reconnecting thanks

You or a trusty mechanic can try plugging in an OBD device in to try diagnosing the problem. Trace the fault you are currently experiencing.
Could try yourself but you would need to have the right tool.
This is a car fault code reader that is compatible not sure how complex it is as I have not got one yet but its certainly worth having for diagnosis.

I reckon something’s been changed and now you removed the battery it’s reset and asking for the security off each item. I reckon ones wrong.
Has anything been changed you know; eps, abs, ecm etc.....
where you located?

I reckon something’s been changed and now you removed the battery it’s reset and asking for the security off each item. I reckon ones wrong.
Has anything been changed you know; eps, abs, ecm etc.....
where you located?
Hi thanks for the reply,as far as I know nothing has been changed,brought the car from a relative so asked them about it,also have changed the battery in the past and car was fine after reconnecting it

Got it sorted now a guy from a local garage came with a code reader found error code for NATS malfunction and cleared it...starts on the button now so thanks for all the advice ??

most computers have a small rechargable battery in there which lasts long enough for a battery swap but if it's disconnected (or flat) for too long the computer loses it's short-term memory.

The immobiliser likely came on as a precaution, glad you got it sorted now though

Most car alarms also have an alarm-battery backup that lasts around 3 weeks without the car battery, which is why sometimes cars with low battery will sound the car alarm all the time

In future you might be interested in a battery maintainer.

I can't vouch for this one, it was just the first that came up on google. But this is the kind of shape you are looking for, not the big bulky battery chargers that advertise that they also do trickle charge and maintainance because they often don't have the right sort of safety cutouts for long-term battery storage. Usually the good ones for just leaving attached over winter or while you're away will say "smart battery maintainer" somewhere on there.

Back