Help!! Micra clamped!!!

Hi All,

Firstly...great site!

As you can guess...Ive just registered, I really need some advice about my Micra SLX 93/N reg, Im trying to find out how and if its possible to remove the drivers side ball joint using a ball joint splitter? also is it possible to refit the same ball joint afterwards and drive the car a short distance, ok...your probably thinking 'whats this idiot on about' let me explain.......

I went to work this morning and parked in our private work car park, Same as I have for years, anyway when I came back to my Micra I found it clamped! Our company uses a private clamping company mainly because a local gypsy site kept parking their vans in our carpark leaving us no where to park and a load of abuse and broken windows if we complained! you get the picture...

Anyway...I called the clamping company and said theres been a mistake...I have a permit to park here, they basically said it wasent displayed in my window....which is a complete lie!....their word against mine though.

So...I want to remove the clamp and refuse to pay...just give their clamp back undamaged....so I cant get charged with anything.

The problem is....The chain for the clamp is wrapped around the drivers side ball joint!! hence my question of can I take off the ball joint with a ball joint splitter....(to remove clamp) then replace ball joint and drive about two miles home? will it work...is it possible??

Please note..This is legal as long as I return the clamp undamaged...mad but true as its on private land!

So...please, please, please can you let me know if the ball joint job is possible??

Thanks in Advance!

Woody (A.K.A) Chris

ya mean the chain is fed between the lower arm and the driveshaft?

tis possible

The nut holding the hub to the balljoint maybe a tricky one to get off especially if the threads full of crud, rust and never been touched cos when the nut does get abit stuck, the balljoint shaft tends to just spin on it's housing, stupid design

The scissor-type splitter tool may not fit between the balljoint shaft and driveshaft so requires the shaft to be removed from the hub which takes a big breaker bar and socket to remove the hubnut and strut/hub bolts.

alternatively if you've managed to remove the balljoint nut with a spanner, you could use the wedge-type balljoint splitters but i advise against them unless your willing to replace the whole lower arm cos they tend to split open the balljoints rubber cover.

but if ur willing to spend prob £25 for a new arm off ebay and possibly £5 for new front nut & bolt if the original bolt is seized onto the bush, then the wedge-balljoint splitter is the quickest way

personally i would angle grind it off and use it to beat them round the face with it. you could pull your car apart to get it off, but what about cutting it off, and claim your car was stolen, park the car down the road, get the police to return it to you and all is good.

hate clamping, but it would be easier to help if you show a photo

either way its not easy doing anything with the wheel in place.

have you tried the letting down the tyre trick?

If it's one of the flimsy 3 pronged ones (not a solid triangle) just drive away. Or take your wheel off and put your spare on, go home and cut it off there.

does the clamping company have a photo to prove that the permit wasn't displayed in the windows?

if not, personally i would cut the clamp off, bin it and denie it was ever clamped.

Hammer, chisel, and padlock gone.

true or ask them to come and remove the clamp, wait till the fat ugly sweaty cint turns up, explain the situation and ask for the photo of proof.

please dont pull your car apart for there mistake

failing that wait for him to arrive, beat the living #### out of him and clamp his car and drop the key down a drain. threaten his dog and tell him to #### off!

sorry if this sounds ott but i HATE clampers with a passionate, there all bent and deserve a taste of there own medicine!!grrgrrgrrgrrgrrgrrgrrgrrgrr

Back