Help me... im female!!!

hey...

so i posted on here a while back... not having a clue.
4months of using public transport, now i need help.

i have a problem... NATS!

some theiving little ####s tryed robbing my baby... a 1L 96 Vibe. Nats 2 (i think)
it didnt go in their favour.
the chip under the ignition barrel was pulled out and i had the EM light flashing.

towed to the garage, the bloke soldered it, recoded the keys .... it worked.

then i got the flashing light again... swapped the keys, drove it to nissan, recoded keys= fine.

then it was hit and miss as to if it would start= drove it to another nissan garage, they had it for 3 days, said it needed £500 of rewiring, (which wasnt garanteed to fix it), and i had to have it TOWED out of there. how does that work??

bloke that towed it has had it for 4 months, no more a mechanic than i am an astronaut... and the #### has broken my ignition ring. :mad:

right what im wandering is...
Is the chip soldered to the ignition pickup ring?
if i can get a new ring, will soldering the old chip to it work?
Does anyone have a ring for sale?
is it just a case of doing that, then recoding the keys at nissan?

im not worried about paying nissan recode prices, last time was only £50... i just want my baby fixed... i cant change the ecu and what not, cus i dont have a clue.
i'd rather pay the money and do it the easy way.

Help would be muchly appreciated :)
Thankyou

wow you are female, harsh! j/k :p

the NATS data is stored in the ECU, the coil around the ignition barrel does nothing more than pick up the signal so it is not unique in any way.

but unless you can get the wiring sorted (sounds like a broken wire is loose, i'd change the whole pickup ring) you are in for a pricey fix.

but there are options. the easiest would be to retro fit a non NATS ECU in the car, it should be a straight swap and then you get your car back. but i might be wrong about that, there may be some wiring you have to change.

other option is to get Ed to de NATS your ECU, which is not cheap, but it is cheaper than getting a garage to replace it all.

you could go all out and replace the wiring loom and ECU from a micra in the scrap yard, if its a NATS one you will obviously need the key too. but you can switch the chip in the key which would save you having to change all the locks too.

Id go with a new ECU with NATS removed, then look into a decent steering lock, or if you want, another alarm.

Can i just add... there is NOTHING wrong with the wiring loom... just the chip is not soldered to the ignition ring.. because that is in 2 pieces.
i dont wanna mess about with the ECU.. not gonna play with stuff i know nothing about.

all i wanna know is... do i get a new pickup ring... do i solder the chip to it?? and just take it to nissan for a recode?

i dont want the nats removed. it did its job well. i need it where i live.
i just wanna know if the chip has gotta be soldered to the ring....
and if anyone has the ring.

i dont want the nats removed. it did its job well. i need it where i live.
i just wanna know if the chip has gotta be soldered to the ring....
and if anyone has the ring.

there are a few recent threads about the pickup ring (superls iirc had one) and the chip sends an rf signal from the key to the antenna ring i believe

so it doesnt need soldering??
so effectively, a new ring and everything should work??
it was fine until the mechanic broke the pickup ring :S
thanks

you are not making sense, what chip are you talking about? do you have pics? messing about with the ECU is not hard you just unscrew one and screw in another, no wiring or modification of any kind is needed you just bolt it in.

if the ring is actually snapped in two then it shouldn't work at all because the coil will be damaged.

you can just change the ring if that is all that is broken, but depending on how exactly it is broken it may be an easy fix but i am not sure what you mean by "the chip"

sounds like you live in the land of wronguns for sure
could be the fail'd ignition switch
cheapest place to start
if its an antenna only around the ignition barrel broken,should be replaceable with a scrappy heap one
"eds ecu" would only leave you needing a alarm,and nats forever gone as something that can mess up

by chip, i mean the one that goes in the little box attached to the pickup ring, under the ignition barrel, and clearly has something to do with this whole crappy nats system.

and the thing doesnt work at all.. it starts and cuts out. thats the problem.. was fine before the ring got broken.

im not gonna spend a fortune on a car thats worth a few hundred quid. if its not the pickup ring, it gets crushed. simple as. :)

ok you mean the controller board then, thats probably not fixable, get a new ring and replace the whole thing and it should be fine. the problem is with Nats, but nats is not crappy, its the people who broke it in the first place!

the car will cut out because there is no fuel, thats what Nats does,

not worth crushing the car because of a nats problem, its a simple fix and if you cant sort it thats fair enough, but there are plenty of people who would love to have the car as a project. there is a post in the for sale section about some grass track micras wanted, for example.

the "controller board" is fine. all in one piece. its just the pickup ring thats broken.
"replace the whole thing" the whole what exactly? why replace a part that isnt broken?
like someone said above, if the pickup rings arent coded, surely a different one will do the job.. i can swap it over, and it'll work? the rest of the thing is fine.

its stressing me out. none of the stupid "mechanics" round here know a single thing about it... beginning to wander if a 206cc is the way forward!!!

its stressing me out. none of the stupid "mechanics" round here know a single thing about it... beginning to wander if a 206cc is the way forward!!!
french electrics are worse lol
but that is neither here or there it seems that superls and someone else sorted theirs out with just the ring...
Glad to hear that you have fixed it scott. I received my pickup ring today and i swapped the circuit board over from my original ring and put it on my ignition switch, re set the flashing light and turned it over afew times. The light stopped flashing & the engine started after a few attempts. I started the engine a few times just to check it wasnt a fluke and every thing seems ok. So it would seem that the code is stored on the chip on the board so hopefully i have saved recoding the ecu,keys etc.

gotta be worth a try aint it.
i do really miss my baby.

so next question.... where do i get one of these ring thingys from??
my scrappy only has half a k reg ... and they dont even have the part do they!!!
anyone have one for sale??

it just comes out of the plastic casing thing its in. apparently its not soldered to the ignition ring in any way, so whats there to swap? im guessing i just get a new ring, pop the old circuit chip thingy into the new one, plug it back into the wiring, then bobs ya teapot!!
and if it does need soldering to the antenna in the ring (does someone know the answer to this), thats what boyfriends are for lol
:)

Dear god a 206 is never the way forward! Horrid pieces of shot!
Can you not just get everything you need from a breaker cheap
If you were closer I could have a fettle with it but your quite far away :(

What is this pickup ring? I have a nats micra that im away to scrap this weekend. Pictures please

little black box and ring that goes around the barrel stani, and because the rfid chip inside the key has no battery then i guess the ring doubles as an induction coil to energise the keychip, and also serves as an antenna

Ok you can just use the chip from my keys do you dont have to change the locks?

scott posted some keychip pics the other day eh

Attachments

• chip.jpg
    chip.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 482
little black box and ring that goes around the barrel stani, and because the rfid chip inside the key has no battery then i guess the ring doubles as an induction coil to energise the keychip, and also serves as an antenna

just as a note, you are right frank the key uses passive RFID, the coil energizes the chip and reads it at the same time, but i was pretty sure the controller board didn't store any numbers. the controller boards will be linked with a security protocol, (basically the coil asks a question and the key answers, wrong question wrong answer) but that will be just the age/version of NATS, it should be the ECU that stores it. i may have that totally wrong but thats how i thought it was done.

Chips, boxes, ECUs are ALL coded to each other. So just changing the chip is no good. Car wont run. ANd if anyone doubts me, ive already spoken to Ed.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and the thing doesnt work at all.. it starts and cuts out. thats the problem.. was fine before the ring got broken.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, quid. if its not the pickup ring, it gets crushed. simple as. :)

if your saying it starts?????????
how could that be nats------------- even if it does cut out after?
if you get slight ignition then cut out, i would iliminate the ignition switch (cause thats what it does when its scrunched up inside ,it doesnt "maintain" the correct contacts ) and loose ECU plug? push them firmly in place
overall i would buy ECU set of stani and the ignition switch as you like the car and plan keeping him:grinning:
and you may live near any members who could maybe help

Look, rather than ####ing about with all the coils and chips, why not just get a modified ECU that bypasses NATS and get a cheap car alarm and be done... its simple... how simple can it be???? its plug the ECU and play thats it!!!

J

if your saying it starts?????????
how could that be nats------------- even if it does cut out after?
if you get slight ignition then cut out, i would iliminate the ignition switch (cause thats what it does when its scrunched up inside ,it doesnt "maintain" the correct contacts ) and loose ECU plug? push them firmly in place
overall i would buy ECU set of stani and the ignition switch as you like the car and plan keeping him:grinning:
and you may live near any members who could maybe help

Nats allows the car to start and then shut off in some cases, s14a use nats 2 and it's a common thing start for a couple of seconds then die

Nats allows the car to start and then shut off in some cases, s14a use nats 2 and it's a common thing start for a couple of seconds then die

had the r-reg-sr doing that with a mashup ign switch too
even the machine at garage threw up the nats finger at me,but changed switch and boy woke up

i have no idea what switches and all you are all going on about.
i was told it was the stupid nats, and it needs a new pickup ring.

if anyone got an ecu etc that they dont want, send it my way and i'll give it a bash.
but i DONT want it removed... it saved my baby :) little ####s round here will probs try again anyway.

i think im just gonna try and get a ring, tow it to nissan and try n get them to recode it.

but thanks anyway.
like the thread said... im female... cars confuse me.
just wanted to know if anyone knew if the chip was soldered and where i could get a ring from.

anyone got a number or anything for this "Ed" bloke??

http://s1091.photobucket.com/albums...thatismush/?action=view&current=Photo0006.jpg

how can i get rid of my poor brum! look how sexy he is lol

this is seriously annoying me!!!

seems my only option is to get this modified ecu....
so if i do that, do i just take out the old one and plug the new one in??
is it garanteed to work?
will the ignition ring still need replacing?
can i use my old keys?
will the Engine Managment light permenantly flash??

so your all saying £150 for this ecu.... is my car even worth that lol
right... i need an email or something... i need that ecu lol

Id sell you a nats ecu, pickup ring, black box and the keys so you can use the chips for £60 so long as someone will confirm this is all thats required

stani is offering a good deal there, the same thing from nissan would be tripple figures easy,

have you replaced the ignition switch yet??????????????????? pushed the ecu other plugs in?,,could be lose clip onto ignition switch,,done any of the above yet?????????
cheapest option before buying stani's or another

have you replaced the ignition switch yet??????????????????? pushed the ecu other plugs in?,,could be lose clip onto ignition switch,,done any of the above yet?????????
cheapest option before buying stani's or another

i have absoluty NO idea what 'switch' you are going on about, no idea where this is. Come to think of it, i don't even know where the ecu is. I'm confused now. What is this switch. I thought it was all automatic when you put the key in.

i would post a pic of your pickup ring and ecu wrongun, and if stani says it looks the same as his then buy his complete setup

Back