My K11 is not well!!!

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
Came out to my car this morning and it had difficulty starting. This is the 3rd time it has happened this month. All have been on cold/wet/damp mornings. After turning the car over for about 20 minutes (amazed the battery didn't die) it finally started. There is a "popping" coming from the exhaust when revving. I had the back and mid exhaust changed about this time last year, so can only preume there's a hole at the front end of the exhaust system. Don't know if that could be the problem, not enough back pressure, water getting into the exhaust i don't know. But worst thing today was that the car kept dying when i had to stop, quite annoying in rush hour, and at round abouts, traffic lights etc. And potentially could lead to an accident as it cut out on a round-about 2day :'(

Once I got to work (after 29 miles of mainly motorway driving) I pulled into the car park and it died again. Turned the car over, rev'd the nuts off it and it didn't cut out when I removed my foot from the accelerator, it was ticking over normally.

Any ideas what could be wrong???

Additioanl Information:
Spark Plugs changed less than a month ago
K&N Induction Kit fitted so it's not air intake
Oil Filter and Oil Change done about 6 months ago

To my knowledge, nearly everything in the engine bay is as standard. Was going to replace HT leads to start with, and get exhaust seen to, but if it's going to be costly, just gonna get rid of it, and buy a newer car.

1996 Nissan Micra GX 1L 998cc (of pure manly power)

I've tried to give as much information as possible. Any additional informtaion required and I will try to provide it. Just hope it starts for me to get home tonight, otherwise i'll be sleeping in my shed....yes I work in a shed!!!

Picture of my shed
2545449fac05dbcfa.jpg

I've had this problem with my K11 and it turned out to be a mixture of two things, old HT leads (letting the moisture in) and an old battery.

Get them both replaced and you should be OK.

I also know theres a relay mod for the fuel pump to stop it flooding the engine - have a word with the nissan dealer.

and yes it will cough an splutter as it's got alot of fuel in it.

wilsonian said:
I've had this problem with my K11 and it turned out to be a mixture of two things, old HT leads (letting the moisture in) and an old battery.

Get them both replaced and you should be OK.

I also know theres a relay mod for the fuel pump to stop it flooding the engine - have a word with the nissan dealer.

and yes it will cough an splutter as it's got alot of fuel in it.
If it is the flooding problem, then this should be of use:
http://www.micrawiki.org/index.php/K11:Common_Problems

:)

OK, I will change the HT leads. Know of anywhere online to purchase some HT leads, working a 9-5 it's not easy to visit shops, plus can get them delivered straight to work.

Thanks for your help n quick response!!

Hellfrauds...

long shot but check the air mass meter? could be the dizzy. sounds like its not firing on all cylinders and on a 1.0 you need all the cylinders you can get lol :)

so

take the air box apart and check for crap and water...
check the HT leads for water, check for a good connection

can you post sound of the car running dodgy?

nice shed :D

It's firing on all cylinders, think i'd notice it running like a pile of poo if i was running on less. The car is fine once it's running, was doing 90, *cough* i mean 70 *cough* down the dual carriageway / motorway.

Air box....no....K&N cone, so i'll take that off and check for moisture inside.

Sound can be recorded, gonna coat everything in WD40 to see if that does anything. The HT leads are connected to the Dizzy and spark plugs with a good connection. But the HT leads are going to be replaced.

How do you "check" the air mass meter?

Back