Hello!

Name: Chris Ritchie
Music: From The Sweet to Goldfrapp, Led Zep to AC/DC plus anything bar drum & bass!
Hobby: Cars, Drag racing motorcycles.
Vehicles Owned: 2002 Fabia 1.9tdi, 1992 Nissan Micra 1.3 LX, Morris Minor 1955 Split Screen, three Kawasaki 750 Triples.

I bought my little 1.3 LX about two years ago as a bit of a stop gap while I completed my Morris Minor project (I wanted to fit a Fiat Twin Cam motor in it) It's just the right size to nip about the lanes down here in Dorset where I live and is cheap to buy parts for and look after. Since owing it, I've fitted a towbar and regularly trailer my drag bike to all the meets I attend. And now, after using it these past few years, I've actually gone off the idea of working on the Minor and want to have a better Micra instead!

I'm looking to upgrade to a later Micra but one that could be easily converted to take a larger engine - like one from a Primera 1.6, 1.8 or similar. I would also like it to retain a working aircon unit if possible. I was thinking of buying a nice 1.0 SE and then fitting said larger engine. I've had a quick look on here and it appears it can be done. I'm basically looking for advice on the most straight forward swop. I do have full use of a machine shop/fabrication & welding gear so it's the electronics that I'm wary of! I would then like to upgrade the suspension & brakes to suit but want the car to look as stock as possible.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Chris.

Welcome, i'm sure someone will be along shortly with some good advice, any chance of some pics of the triples i love a nice two stroke.(Y)

Hello Essexpunx, I used to live near Sutton Bridge about five years ago. I do miss the open spaces and the dead straight lanes at the back of our house that I use to use for practice! here's my drag bike. Now 857cc with reed valves from a 900cc Arctic Cat snowmobile. On the dyno it puts out 170rwhp and 92ft/lbs torque. At the strip it does 10.30's at 138mph all day long. It should be much quicker next time out as the rear tyre was shot.
pad7323.jpg

Name: Chris Ritchie
Music: From The Sweet to Goldfrapp, Led Zep to AC/DC plus anything bar drum & bass!
Hobby: Cars, Drag racing motorcycles.
Vehicles Owned: 2002 Fabia 1.9tdi, 1992 Nissan Micra 1.3 LX, Morris Minor 1955 Split Screen, three Kawasaki 750 Triples.

I bought my little 1.3 LX about two years ago as a bit of a stop gap while I completed my Morris Minor project (I wanted to fit a Fiat Twin Cam motor in it) It's just the right size to nip about the lanes down here in Dorset where I live and is cheap to buy parts for and look after. Since owing it, I've fitted a towbar and regularly trailer my drag bike to all the meets I attend. And now, after using it these past few years, I've actually gone off the idea of working on the Minor and want to have a better Micra instead!

I'm looking to upgrade to a later Micra but one that could be easily converted to take a larger engine - like one from a Primera 1.6, 1.8 or similar. I would also like it to retain a working aircon unit if possible. I was thinking of buying a nice 1.0 SE and then fitting said larger engine. I've had a quick look on here and it appears it can be done. I'm basically looking for advice on the most straight forward swop. I do have full use of a machine shop/fabrication & welding gear so it's the electronics that I'm wary of! I would then like to upgrade the suspension & brakes to suit but want the car to look as stock as possible.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Chris.

Welcome
The k11 is more than capable of handling the sr20de from a primera Gt, if you have the time and patience to fit it

hi chris (Y) i saw you guys at shakespere raceway last sunday :grinning: (triple club)
and i,m the oldest fart on here :p

Your plans mean that would be a very interesting thread (Y)
I can only support you and say Good Luck with turning your Micra into a BEAST :)

Hello Essexpunx, I used to live near Sutton Bridge about five years ago. I do miss the open spaces and the dead straight lanes at the back of our house that I use to use for practice! here's my drag bike. Now 857cc with reed valves from a 900cc Arctic Cat snowmobile. On the dyno it puts out 170rwhp and 92ft/lbs torque. At the strip it does 10.30's at 138mph all day long. It should be much quicker next time out as the rear tyre was shot.
pad7323.jpg

170hp very nice indeed.

"The k11 is more than capable of handling the sr20de from a primera Gt, if you have the time and patience to fit it"

Really? That sounds awesome! I have a few questions:
1. Is it just a case of making up some engine mounts, chopping & welding driveshafts and making up a few brackets?
2. What about the electrics? Do you use the Primera ECU?
3. Is there a model year to get regarding both Micra & Primera 2.0GT that would make the transplant easier?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I really don't know much about these cars - I am reading up on them though!! I would rather be advised by people who know what they're doing rather than blunder on making loads of mistakes. If it can be done it would be insane. I was looking at the Smart/bike engine transplants but a Micra would be far more practical for me.
Cheers!
Chris.

As I've not done it myself I'm not sure but I'd imagine you'll want none nats ecus, probably from the older egt model. But yeah custom mounts and driveshafts with some loom splicing/swapping depending how you do it, I believe mov?? Is currently doing this

Well I'm really interested in this now as I was looking at the prices of doner cars and it shouldn't cost too much to do. Am I right in thinking that a pre 1996 car would be best as these appear not to have the NATS that you mention?

Well I'm really interested in this now as I was looking at the prices of doner cars and it shouldn't cost too much to do. Am I right in thinking that a pre 1996 car would be best as these appear not to have the NATS that you mention?

I would guess that it would be best, if your planning on using the prim ecu

i think the old nissan serna doesn't use nats either i got an ecu off one for my n14 sunny gti and it worked just as good as the one out of the prim. i only used a serna one cause i burnt the prim one out.

Any questions, I am 95% sure Mov on here will be able to answer as he has just completed the build unsure on spec i.e NATS or non-NATS.

But good luck and any questions I'm sure the club will be happy to help :)

Pepper

Hi Guy's reading through your replies above I'm glad I signed up could do with some help! Planning something similar to Chris above but, I'm looking to put in something like a 1.6 from some small 4wheel drive vehicle, into my '52 plate K11 (along with said 4wheel drive system, air intakes, intercoolers, brakes, suspension, gearbox, clutch and of course twin turbo'd =D), but my main question is whether anyone out there has done it already, and if they got any idea's how big and what engine I can fit into the tiny engine bay, initially was dreaming over the 2.0 L 4G63 from the evo viii but a mechanic friend shot that idea down saying that even if i got the engine to fit (i started mentioning mid-mounting) the 4 wheel drive system with drive shaft etc wouldn't fit without a lot of cutting an welding which he didn't recommend, he did however say the 1.3 from the 4wheel drive suzuki swift would fit nicely, but I wouldn't have much to play with there so, I thought I'd see if anyone knows the score!
Aloha

The swift may be a plan, but what ever you decide to fit you are going to be doing a lot of cutting and welding, I'm currently doing a v8 in mine (whoops cat out of the bag) and my dads dropping a ninja or cbr engine in his
If you have the time and the money to buy an evo to strip mate I'd go for it! Alternativey may be cheaper and easier (not allot easier mind) to get a pulsar 2000cc t28r turbo 250bhp out of the box

If you have a look you'll see someone is already doing the pulsar swap

ye it is looking like the best plan to be fair, I'm really no good when it comes to welding, I tend to pay people to do it for me, bashing, bolting, levering and fiddling, all good, I've got a kinda side idea http://www.japan-partner.com/Auto/4417/Nissan/March/car-for-sale.html I'm thinking of doing that to my micra, just after finishing the full re-fit and tune up, really want to confuse people when they see me rolling down the road =D problem is though, never got sold over here only in japan, found one for sale in ireland, but if i only want the parts its cheaper to buy one from japan an ship it over! cant find a body kit for love or money, have contacted many company's looking for custom built parts etc far far too pricey was gutted, gonn have to buy a whole car jus to cannibalise it

Back