Headlight Problems after clutch change by garage

P

Paulos

Hi

This is my first post on the forum so hello

Recently my girlfriend took her P-Reg 1.0L Micra to have the clutch changed. Unfortunately, since getting the car back the nearside (left) headlamp refuses to work on dipped/high beam. I think also the rear fog lamp doesn't work. The sidelights still work.

We have been in touch with the garage and refuse to accept any responsibility for the problem. They must have damaged some wiring. They want us to pay for an auto electrician to repair the fault.

I am going to fix this myself as I am quite experienced with car electrics so I was just looking for any advice or even better a wiring diagram. I have checked the fuse/bulb and both are fine.

I was thinking of just total re-wiring the left headlight but a diagram would be useful so I can try to trace the exact location of the fault.

When i was replacing my clutch - i had to move the fuse boxes (round the battery) out of the way, maybe they've caught a wire when doing this?

wilsonian said:
When i was replacing my clutch - i had to move the fuse boxes (round the battery) out of the way, maybe they've caught a wire when doing this?

I thought this also. Perhaps they have damaged some of the wiring going to the fuse box. I will check as soon as poss.

welcome to the site :)

what about checking the stork on the steering wheel... after messing about in the footwell (puting my new pedals on ) i hit my head on the stork and after that the passenger side light wouldn't work so i took it apart and found that it had just come unclipped...

if all else fails just run some wires from the other light...

good luck mate :)

wilsonian said:
let us know how you get on :)

Update

Just to let you know I managed to fix the lighting problem. It may be of use to you so i thought i would update you all. The cause of the problem was that one of the connecting wires to the left hand light fuse had corroded and snapped off.

It was quite tricky to repair but managed a good permanent repair in the end.

There was quite a lot of corrosion on the other wires in that fuse box too so I delt with that whilst I was there. I would advise you guys to maybe take a look at this wiring as I was quite astonished at seemingly poor quality of the wiring and connectors in this department and perhaps give them a good dose of WD40 treatment to the back of the fuse block. My other car is a Mazda MX5 and the difference in build quality is worlds apart.

I can't really blame the garage for this as more substantial connectors would have avoided this problem.

Back