K11 Ally 1999, problems after battery change - Please Help

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1999 K11 Nissan Micra Ally 1.0lt, recently my car wasn't starting, so I had it jump started and drove it around for about an hour. The next morning my car wouldn't start. So I then tried toping up the de-ionised water in the battery, jump starting it and taking it out for a drive again. The next morning my car wouldn't start.

So I decided to buy a new battery, and voila my car fired up first time..... however, the check engine light was flashing (this has never happened before), and some of the electrics were not working including the lights (however, the indicators were), radio, and the speedometer seemed very jumpy. When I turned my car off, everything went off (i.e the clock and mileometer digital screen went blank, this has also never happened before). I tried firing my car up again and it started fine, however, still with all the same problems described above. The next morning my car wouldn't start.

My initial guess is that the alternator is not charging, however, I understand this is a costly piece to replace, does anyone know of any other things I should check before taking it to a garage, or is this a piece I can replace my self?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, I do love my wee micra and before these problems it has been a fantastic starter.

Kind regards

Joe Halley

you could probably pick up a second hand alternator easily enough (and cheap enough too) so, its a worth a try. (Y)

You sure you havent blown a fuse? check fuses first before changing anything costly to be on the safe side! good luck! (Y)

you need to check if the alternator is charging and check for a drain first joe (with a basic meter) and the glitches may be a dodgy connection on one of the fusebox feed wires that join the positive lead near the battery

Back